IGNORED

Do you cut pelvic bone when you gut deer, lets see your tools.

bushden

21 minutes ago, WVAhunter08 said:

I always split the pelvic bone, the way is was taught as a kid. I’ve seen it done without, seems to leave way too much on the backend and just overall sloppy

I was taught the same way by my father and taught my sons the same.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

19 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Which one and why?

tree saw one dropped it and broke where it goes into the extended handle, i usally leave my gutting stuff in my vehicle since im not that far from my truck so i go back to my truck drop off my bow and get the sled and gutting tools of course after i find my deer

12 minutes ago, KEITH STONE said:

CF646FBE-1EC5-40E9-A275-197777914980.png

Same idea but not very compact in you pack.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

13 minutes ago, BOWHIO said:

tree saw one dropped it and broke where it goes into the extended handle, i usally leave my gutting stuff in my vehicle since im not that far from my truck so i go back to my truck drop off my bow and get the sled and gutting tools of course after i find my deer

I s actually asked which butcher and why would he require it?

The one thing people don't think about with coreing the butt hole is you need to have a super sharp knife.  One circle and im normally done.  Its easy with a 110 but even easier with a 102.  If I'm not mounting I do split the sternum up to the neck.  Has nothing to do with being cleaner it helps cool the body cavity faster

Just now, Michael Britt said:

The Butt Out Tool tears the anus too easily. Once a butcher suggested I stop cutting the pelvis, I stopped. He said you unnecessarily expose the hams to dirt, debris, etc. I do cut the sternum however, makes it easier to reach up, though I always wind up with little cuts or abrasions from the cut bone. Can't win 🤣

You have to be gentle when doing  anals, slip it in and turn gently then pull outward slowly while cutting, a real sharp knife also helps immensely:up:

My field dressing "kit" consists of an old Western knife with a 3 1/2"  blade and a piece of bailing twine. 

On a doe I just cut the skin around the anus and vaginal opening, pull it out a little bit and tie it off with the twine. Once tied I'll pull on the twine and use my finger to separate the connective tissue inside the canal. That's it for that end. It takes maybe half a minute. 

The gutting cut I make from the bottom of the sternum to the back of the teats. No further.  At that point I stick my knife in and cut the diapragm. I pull the diapragm  off the chest wall with my hands then reach up and cut the esophogus and wind pipe, grab them and pull the whole mess out in one piece. No urine or crap spills out because it's all tied off , I've made a total of four cuts and it takes less time to do it then it took me to write it.

Basically the same for bucks except I do cut the skin and the meat to split the hams along the H bone in order to remove the tube that runs along the bone. Two angled cuts right at the bottom rear opening of the pelvis canal frees the tube  up with a small triangle of muscle. It gets tied off with the anus the same as on a doe. 

1 hour ago, ratherbhunting said:

I have cut the pelvic bone on all the deer I have gotten except for one this year that I used the but out tool on.

Here is the saw I use, it works great.

bone saw.jpg

This is what I use 

FPC  - "Without either the first or second amendment, we would have no liberty; the first allows us to find out what's happening, the second allows us to do something about it! The second will be taken away first, followed by the first and then the rest of our freedoms." - Andrew Ford