Jump to content

Salmon River Stealth Camping


Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, GilV said:

Got my Prius and rigged it out. Going next week for several days fishing the Salmon River. Leaving Tuesday, staying 2 nights and fishing 2.5 days. Can't wait.

Staying at Stoney's Pineville Campground ($20 a night and they have a shower $1.50). Also going to check out a farm outside of Altmar to see about just parking there overnight.

I love fly fishing and camping. This will make these trips affordable, since I plan on going a lot.

Getting 48 miles to the gallon also is nice. 7 gallons there (336 miles), 7 gallons back and maybe 1 or 2 gallons running around to different spots. The trip will take 15 or 16 gallons. $45 in gas $44.50 for camping, plus any tolls (don't know or care what the tolls are). $89.50 for two night lodging, travel and 2.5 days fishing, doesn't get much better in retirement.

 

best of luck! and have fun. post pictures. when i go camping i bring a rocket stove and buy the mountain house meals. they sell everything you could imagine to enjoy a decent meal while camping. also everything packs extremely light. believe it or not, the meals really do taste good and all that is required is boiling water. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I will post some pictures of the Prius, my camping gear and hopefully some steelhead. 

I have done 4 DIY Elk hunts. Two were backcountry back packing for two weeks in Colorado. I lived on Mountain House for two weeks on each hunt. They are delicious. In 2022 my hunting partner and I are doing another two week elk hunt in Colorado. The last time we went we were 57 and 58 years old. This time we will be 67 and 68 years old. He is the older one!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got back from salmon river, it was very very slow. I stayed at Stoney’s the first night, but we must have been the first ones to stay there since the fall, I think there were coyotes denning under the RVs or something and we must’ve kicked them out because they wouldn’t stop yipping at us all night. I eventually had to sleep in the car just to get some quiet. After that first night I went and stayed at another lodge I go to for $35/night. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What was the name of lodge for $35? I friends that want to go but don't like to camp.  

2 minutes ago, SwampAssassin said:

I just got back from salmon river, it was very very slow. I stayed at Stoney’s the first night, but we must have been the first ones to stay there since the fall, I think there were coyotes denning under the RVs or something and we must’ve kicked them out because they wouldn’t stop yipping at us all night. I eventually had to sleep in the car just to get some quiet. After that first night I went and stayed at another lodge I go to for $35/night. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, GilV said:

What was the name of lodge for $35? I friends that want to go but don't like to camp.  

 

Better deal than the Super 8 I just stayed in last Thursday. Not that it was bad , but it was so stuffy we had to keep the windows open all night. That and having to go get the room "key" straightened out to even get in. Manager said it was our fault it didn't work.......Okay

Link to post
Share on other sites

We had a lot of close encounters. One trip a friend shot a P&Y 5x5. The year in the video my friend shot under a 5x5 at 40 yards. I had a monster 6x6 on that trip within 20 yards, but I was in the middle of 30 elk and couldn't move. Two satellite bulls bugled and he took of after them.  We both had other encounters on every trip we went on.

I love backcountry bowhunting DIY. Can't wait to go back.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Got tied up with family stuff yesterday and today. Leaving 1 am tonight. Here is the Prius so far. I intend to remove the back seat and build a platform and storage areas.

It has some good storage spaces in the spare tire compartment and on the left side.

I will let you know how I did when I get back.

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GilV said:

Got tied up with family stuff yesterday and today. Leaving 1 am tonight. Here is the Prius so far. I intend to remove the back seat and build a platform and storage areas.

It has some good storage spaces in the spare tire compartment and on the left side.

I will let you know how I did when I get back.

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

good luck. i always left at 1am also. take pictures and good luck fishing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I got tied up with family stuff Monday into Tuesday. I wound up staying up all of Tuesday and left around midnight. Started to fall asleep during the drive and pulled over for a break. Wound up sleeping for about 3.5 hours. Got up there, got my license and started fishing around 9:00. 

The weather and fishing conditions were perfect and there were very few fisherman. The flow was perfect for me. Steelhead were jumping and appeared to be heading down stream. When Atlantic Salmon fishing, they say when you see a jumping salmon they are on the move and won't take, while a surface rising salmon will. It appeared these jumping steelhead were on the move. 

Started fishing upstream of the trestle pool and worked my way down to the trestle. Had one hit but no hookups. Saw more drift boats than fisherman. One drift boat downstream of the trestle pool landed two nice steelhead. They were using some kind of lipped lure. They had two rods, one off of each side of the boat like outriggers. You could see the rods pulsating. Headed for lunch and fished the lower fly section for the afternoon.

Camped at Stoney's. There was one other person in the camp at a cabin. Found out the hard way that the child locks in the Prius were on in the back doors. I had to climb over the front seats to get out. I looked like a walrus trying to get back in the water through an ice fishing hole! The Prius was great and found some thing I can change to make it better for next week.

Thursday morning I started at the Trestle pool and worked my way downstream. Steelhead still jumping. Saw two other "Fly Fisherman" that appeared to be sight fishing and snagging. One hooked up and lost it - good! Headed to Sock pool. One hit but no hookup. I fished it until 11 am. A drift boat came by and told him I was leaving if he wanted to anchor up. We spoke for a few minutes. He had landed two and just lost a third at the head of Sock pool. He was fishing beads.

It started to rain just as I was leaving. I had to work with my son rehabbing a flip house on Friday, so I decided to head home then, instead of driving at night. It rained from the Salmon River all the way to NJ, not bad, but just enough to be annoying!

Miller at lunch at Altmar Hotel. Pictures of the river were Wednesday. Picture of the car is leaving Sock Pool on Thursday. The morning was beautiful on Thursday morning, but the weather changed right after the picture, so I headed back home.

I am tied up Monday and Tuesday working. I am hoping to leave Wednesday morning and camping Wed, Thur and Friday night. All depending on the weather and work.

Traveled over 900 miles on 21 gallons of gas. $20 to camp for the night.

 

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GilV said:

Well I got tied up with family stuff Monday into Tuesday. I wound up staying up all of Tuesday and left around midnight. Started to fall asleep during the drive and pulled over for a break. Wound up sleeping for about 3.5 hours. Got up there, got my license and started fishing around 9:00. 

The weather and fishing conditions were perfect and there were very few fisherman. The flow was perfect for me. Steelhead were jumping and appeared to be heading down stream. When Atlantic Salmon fishing, they say when you see a jumping salmon they are on the move and won't take, while a surface rising salmon will. It appeared these jumping steelhead were on the move. 

Started fishing upstream of the trestle pool and worked my way down to the trestle. Had one hit but no hookups. Saw more drift boats than fisherman. One drift boat downstream of the trestle pool landed two nice steelhead. They were using some kind of lipped lure. They had two rods, one off of each side of the boat like outriggers. You could see the rods pulsating. Headed for lunch and fished the lower fly section for the afternoon.

Camped at Stoney's. There was one other person in the camp at a cabin. Found out the hard way that the child locks in the Prius were on in the back doors. I had to climb over the front seats to get out. I looked like a walrus trying to get back in the water through an ice fishing hole! The Prius was great and found some thing I can change to make it better for next week.

Thursday morning I started at the Trestle pool and worked my way downstream. Steelhead still jumping. Saw two other "Fly Fisherman" that appeared to be sight fishing and snagging. One hooked up and lost it - good! Headed to Sock pool. One hit but no hookup. I fished it until 11 am. A drift boat came by and told him I was leaving if he wanted to anchor up. We spoke for a few minutes. He had landed two and just lost a third at the head of Sock pool. He was fishing beads.

It started to rain just as I was leaving. I had to work with my son rehabbing a flip house on Friday, so I decided to head home then, instead of driving at night. It rained from the Salmon River all the way to NJ, not bad, but just enough to be annoying!

Miller at lunch at Altmar Hotel. Pictures of the river were Wednesday. Picture of the car is leaving Sock Pool on Thursday. The morning was beautiful on Thursday morning, but the weather changed right after the picture, so I headed back home.

I am tied up Monday and Tuesday working. I am hoping to leave Wednesday morning and camping Wed, Thur and Friday night. All depending on the weather and work.

Traveled over 900 miles on 21 gallons of gas. $20 to camp for the night.

 

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

I like what you are doing. You found enjoyable and affordable way to do what you love to do. Have fun! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GilV said:

Well I got tied up with family stuff Monday into Tuesday. I wound up staying up all of Tuesday and left around midnight. Started to fall asleep during the drive and pulled over for a break. Wound up sleeping for about 3.5 hours. Got up there, got my license and started fishing around 9:00. 

The weather and fishing conditions were perfect and there were very few fisherman. The flow was perfect for me. Steelhead were jumping and appeared to be heading down stream. When Atlantic Salmon fishing, they say when you see a jumping salmon they are on the move and won't take, while a surface rising salmon will. It appeared these jumping steelhead were on the move. 

Started fishing upstream of the trestle pool and worked my way down to the trestle. Had one hit but no hookups. Saw more drift boats than fisherman. One drift boat downstream of the trestle pool landed two nice steelhead. They were using some kind of lipped lure. They had two rods, one off of each side of the boat like outriggers. You could see the rods pulsating. Headed for lunch and fished the lower fly section for the afternoon.

Camped at Stoney's. There was one other person in the camp at a cabin. Found out the hard way that the child locks in the Prius were on in the back doors. I had to climb over the front seats to get out. I looked like a walrus trying to get back in the water through an ice fishing hole! The Prius was great and found some thing I can change to make it better for next week.

Thursday morning I started at the Trestle pool and worked my way downstream. Steelhead still jumping. Saw two other "Fly Fisherman" that appeared to be sight fishing and snagging. One hooked up and lost it - good! Headed to Sock pool. One hit but no hookup. I fished it until 11 am. A drift boat came by and told him I was leaving if he wanted to anchor up. We spoke for a few minutes. He had landed two and just lost a third at the head of Sock pool. He was fishing beads.

It started to rain just as I was leaving. I had to work with my son rehabbing a flip house on Friday, so I decided to head home then, instead of driving at night. It rained from the Salmon River all the way to NJ, not bad, but just enough to be annoying!

Miller at lunch at Altmar Hotel. Pictures of the river were Wednesday. Picture of the car is leaving Sock Pool on Thursday. The morning was beautiful on Thursday morning, but the weather changed right after the picture, so I headed back home.

I am tied up Monday and Tuesday working. I am hoping to leave Wednesday morning and camping Wed, Thur and Friday night. All depending on the weather and work.

Traveled over 900 miles on 21 gallons of gas. $20 to camp for the night.

 

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

IMG_1392.JPG

IMG_1388.JPG

IMG_1387.JPG

Awesome trip Gil!!

I was cracking up about the walrus climbing into an ice Fishin hole!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 2021 Season Countdowns

    • Sea Bass Season Opens
      05/15/2021 5:43AM EDT
    • Fluke Season Opens
      05/22/2021 5:38AM EDT
  • Help Support NJ Woods & Water

    • paypal-donate-button

      njwaw-premium-membership-button

      shop-at-amazon-button
  • 2021 New Jersey Turkey Hunting Information



  • 2021 Youth Turkey Hunting Contest

  • 2021 Adult Turkey Hunting Contest

×
×
  • Create New...