Salmon River Stealth Camping

45 minutes ago, Nomad said:

My vote is still for the motel...

i can appreciate where hes coming from. wanting to keep it simple. i get it, and its more fun then a motel. i use to have a chevy s10 with a cap. camping like that with a fire is more fun then some dirty motel room, of course IMO. makes the trip more fun then "checking in" 

1 hour ago, OMC said:

X7 we did all those same things but that was 30 yrs ago. Now when I go up there I want a warm bed, hot shower and good food. Mix in a few Bourbons and I’m all good. 

I hear that. There is no way I'd be doing that scene today unless absolutely necessary, lol. I'm happy to do a once a year steelhead trip. Hopefully, in early April I'll do it again. Got shut out of going last year. I've been looking to go to the Niagara for steelhead one of these days.

3 hours ago, Roon said:

I haven't been there in 20 years, when I was younger was there 3 to 4 days a week. Cought countless fish and made more memories then I can recount.

Quick trips always slept in back of my truck at "the portly angler" 

Spent many trips at the Portly Angler as a kid. I miss that place. Bruce and Lee always treated us like family. 

47 minutes ago, Kype said:

i can appreciate where hes coming from. wanting to keep it simple. i get it, and its more fun then a motel. i use to have a chevy s10 with a cap. camping like that with a fire is more fun then some dirty motel room, of course IMO. makes the trip more fun then "checking in" 

Buying a Prius and making it into some kind of a camper is not keeping it simple in my opinion LOL staying in a motel is simple and I haven’t found them to be dirty, the big chain motels are very nice. To each his own.

Edited by Nomad

I didn't just buy the Prius for that. But it is going to be great for what I want to do. I take long trips when a 4 wheel is not necessary. 

In 2019 I thought it would be bad with the crowds. I went the last week in September. I was fishing in Altmar on the Fly only side of the bridge. I found a spot. One guy was catching Kings one after the other. I had no luck. He called me over and said " Here fish here. Let me see your outfit". He built me a leader with a tiny swivel, gave me one of his weighted flies, put a couple of split shots on. I had a T10 sink tip on and he did too. He said cast to that tree and when it reaches that rock lift and cast back upstream to that tree. I felt like a little kid and at that time I was 64. I was a newbie on the Salmon River.

I had a blast. Everyone there was experienced on the river. Everyone was rotating giving other people a chance to fish. Everybody had a great time. King Salmon fishing is not my kind of fishing, but Steelhead and big browns is. 

In 2019 I drove to Nova Scotia to fish the Margaree River for Atlantic Salmon. It was 1100 miles from my house. I fish for a week and then went to the Salmon River to stay for a week. It was 1100 miles from where I was in Nova Scotia to Pulaski. Then I had to drive 335 miles home from Pulaski.

We drove to Montana twice and Colorado twice to hunt elk. The first time we drove to Colorado it cost both of us $1500 a piece in gas. We had a Tundra and towed a trailer. We back packed in and the trailer turned out to be nothing but an anchor.

With the current administration's oil policy you may all start to look for a Prius.

10 hours ago, _X7 said:

I've been looking to go to the Niagara for steelhead one of these days.

I did great on the Niagra River. We had a guide and used his boat. The guide was great, his name was Joe Cinelli. Make sure if you go to stop by the Canadian Ballet called Mints. Ha!

On 2/17/2021 at 7:32 AM, GilV said:

Canadian Ballet called Mints

I remember having to go all the way to Toronto looking for a room as the falls area was full. We found a place and asked the innkeeper what he suggested for entertainment. I forget the name of the joint, but wow what an incredible display of tang willing to work for our dollars.

On 2/17/2021 at 9:43 AM, nmc02 said:

Tailwater lodge is nicest, always has rooms. However, most expensive too

Stayed there twice. The only complaint was the second time wasn't in the same part of the place as the first. Totally different for comfort and amenities yet cost the same.

12 minutes ago, _X7 said:

I forget the name of the joint, but wow what an incredible display of tang willing to work for our dollars.

May have been Mints. When I went there I thought I died and went to Penthouse Heaven!

1 minute ago, GilV said:

May have been Mints. When I went there I thought I died and went to Penthouse Heaven!

That might have been it. This was in the late 80's. Pretty much the only vivid memory I have of the whole trip.

That is when I went also. $10 to get in. When I was there a bunch of NY Jets were in there.

I just checked and I can't believe it is still there. Now $15 to get in. Ah to be young again!

Edited by GilV
  • 1 month later...

Got my Prius and rigged it out. Going next week for several days fishing the Salmon River. Leaving Tuesday, staying 2 nights and fishing 2.5 days. Can't wait.

Staying at Stoney's Pineville Campground ($20 a night and they have a shower $1.50). Also going to check out a farm outside of Altmar to see about just parking there overnight.

I love fly fishing and camping. This will make these trips affordable, since I plan on going a lot.

Getting 48 miles to the gallon also is nice. 7 gallons there (336 miles), 7 gallons back and maybe 1 or 2 gallons running around to different spots. The trip will take 15 or 16 gallons. $45 in gas $44.50 for camping, plus any tolls (don't know or care what the tolls are). $89.50 for two night lodging, travel and 2.5 days fishing, doesn't get much better in retirement.