Salmon River Stealth Camping

I plan on fishing the Salmon River often this year. I live near Toms River which is 5.5 hours from Pulaski. During the seasons I want to fish 3 or 4 days a week in the middle of the week. I am retired so a motel is out doing that often. I just bought a used Prius which I am going to convert to a stealth camper. They a big generator on wheels. Check out Youtube if you never have seen a conversion.

I was going to look for close highway rest tops and Walmarts to boon dock in. Is there anyone that camps up there or stealth camps that knows of inexpensive campgrounds or places where you aren't kicked out for boon docking.

Thanks

Gil

9 minutes ago, GilV said:

I plan on fishing the Salmon River often this year. I live near Toms River which is 5.5 hours from Pulaski. During the seasons I want to fish 3 or 4 days a week in the middle of the week. I am retired so a motel is out doing that often. I just bought a used Prius which I am going to convert to a stealth camper. They a big generator on wheels. Check out Youtube if you never have seen a conversion.

I was going to look for close highway rest tops and Walmarts to boon dock in. Is there anyone that camps up there or stealth camps that knows of inexpensive campgrounds or places where you aren't kicked out for boon docking.

Thanks

Gil

Me an another guy used to go down all the time and sleep in the back of pickup and park on the street and was never bothered. Now that wss 10 years ago since I was there last. Have fun and good luck fishing.

alot of videos on youtube about stealth camping. good luck. a prius during steelhead season will be tough. if i were to do that i would use my tacoma with a bed cap. my truck bed has a 120v outlet if i needed it. 

bring a lot of wool. a quailty wool blanket will make a world of difference. if i remember correctly my wool blanket was over $200. 

Those days of $20 or $30 a night are long gone. Plus you would have to book way in advance when the seasons are hot. The cheapest I found was $95 and that was an hour away from the Salmon River. Even the Camp Grounds were $40 a night for a tent site if they were available. Do that 3 days a week for a while (not the $40 a night camp grounds) and it adds up. It is world class fishing though.

Tuny I saw that parking lot at the farmer when I was there in 2019. I thought about that. I think this is my best bet. I was invited to join a club there, which would have been great, but it didn't work out for me at the time.

I looked at buying property up there in Altmar and also looked at buying property by the Pepacton Resevoir. Still thinking about it, but I don't think I will do it. You never know what whacky Albany will do in regard to taxes. The way people moved out and are still moving out of NY they may tax property owners income tax even if they don't stay there for over 6 months a year.

I have a 2016 Tacoma TRD Sport but the bed is short. I am going to sell it in the spring. I also have a 2002 Tundra that I am keeping for the beach and hunting. The Prius would be tough most of the time up there only because of weather driving conditions. The Prius would be great September and October and maybe March and April. Other than that I would have to pick my days during the winter, but I have to do that anyway. Every winter I check the DSR reports daily and they usually don't look good because of slush ice and other conditions, let alone driving conditions. I also want to use the Prius for longer stays at the West and East Branch of the Delaware for trout.

Nomad - get a job! Bite your tongue Nomad! In one of my careers IBM would charge customers $258 an hour for my time and pay a good chunk of it to me with benefits. Now I would be lucky to get a minimum wage job pumping gas at WAWA. Ha! Between covid killing my 401k, putting 3 kids through Catholic grammar and high school, 3 college educations, 3 weddings and 3 down paymets for them for their houses - that WAWA minimum wage job is looking good (at least for extra spending money)!