IGNORED

A little farm to table

thank you.  what size pen do you have roughly?  my barn stalls are 12x12 and the outside area is fenced in about 14x14.  and what type of feed do you think is best?

My first pen was 16 feet by 16 feet with a 10-8 leanto. Raised 2 pigs in that. Now My pen is like 48 x 60. I’ve done up to 5 in that. Any feed from a local mill is good. Tractor supply is fine too but a little pricy. Pm me if you have any questions. I enjoy helping people get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Farmshine said:

The most important thing is the pen. Make it strong. I do 7ft green fence post every 8 feet or so and use 16ft cattle panels. Both from tractor supply.
Feeder pigs are $40-125 depending on size and where ya get them.
Figure 600-800 pounds feed per pig
Butchering is $200-350+ depending on where you go and what you want.

On average $60 pig $200ish for feed $250ish for butcher. $500 ish start to finish. Pigs will grow to 200-300 pounds figure roughly 66% return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strong pen is a must. Our pigs got little bigger than normal this year because we could not get an appointment with a butcher. They were in a stable in pen with outside wall. It’s a very old structure. They nearly demolished the outside wall and we had no choice but to move them into a horse trailer for the last two weeks. They have some destructive power. 

I don't know much about pigs but it sure looks like they tear up the landscape and pens.  I help out on the sheep farm and they are grass fed, and baby lamb for the holidays is OUTSTANDING. They have been birthing for the last few weeks.  The only down side is you NEVER WALK ACROSS A FIELD WITHOUT LOOKING BEHIND YOU. The ram will knock you on your butt when you turn your head.

Pic's are the girls trying to get me to let them in the fenced area.

IMG_1598.JPG

IMG_1599.JPG

IMG_1600.JPG

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

31 minutes ago, Swamprat said:

Don't have property to grow them but just put order in with local butcher for a 1/4 pig. Usually get half but my "wild game" freezer is full. Pigs were just born so won't get the meat until June/July.  

Nice !!

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL