Upstate New York Big Bucks

19 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I know Oxford, NY well.  My buddy's family has a dairy farm up there.  They've since retired, but it's 365 acres of hills and fields.  Haven't been back in about 15 years, been meaning to take a trip up there.  I should some time this summer.

It is a beautiful place. My buddy Dane who grew up there and went back after retirement from the Army married  a girl from Florida, after 12 years in NY with her she told him move south or I am going alone so he sold last year and is now in Florida playing golf instead of hunting.

Edited by bushden
18 minutes ago, bushden said:

It is a beautiful place. My buddy Dane who grew up there and went back after retirement from the Army married  a girl from Florida, after 12 years in NY with her she told him move south or I am going alone so he sold last year and is now in Florida playing golf instead of hunting.

I would have told her to have a nice time in Florida and to write often.

I love Upstate NY, particularly the Northern Tier and the Adirondacks. Nothing like being able to walk 5 miles back and not see a sole (including deer 😂). Some pics from the last couple years. This is the first year we didn’t shoot something on our couple day backpacking hunt. We were there for the 60 degree spell. I went back up to hunt from the “houses” and made a rookie mistake on a decent one after he almost ran me over chasing a doe. I ejected two perfectly good shells trying to figure out why my gun wouldn’t shoot. Turns out the safety on my gun was working fine 😂😂 Marlin 336 Lever in .35 Rem. My other levers don’t have a cross bolt safety lol. Old habits lol and the last few years been using my 7600 Carbine. 

9D661E5F-1545-46BD-87C2-E1B1F46F8B6D.jpeg

A2CEFC76-71FC-4A79-8827-54D562BC722E.jpeg

6F104865-241F-4BD2-ADD7-7BCB7EBEBF6A.jpeg

23F16420-1DC2-44E3-A741-B856F65C4D4E.jpeg

40 minutes ago, Jcol6268 said:

My other levers don’t have a cross bolt safety lol. Old habits lol and the last few years been using my 7600 Carbine. 

What I did is click the  cross bolt safety to fire position and then installed a little rubber o ring around it.  This will keep it from being accidentally clicked on.  Then you never need to think about it again and just use the hammer as the safety like your other rifles.

Central New York and Southern tier are completely different from the mts of the Catskills.  

our family has had a camp for 37 seasons in ulster county 3c. Collectively we’ve taken a total of 22 bucks. Most seasons we have 6 hunters. 9 being the most and 3 being the least.   Antler restrictions went into affect in 2005.  Since then only 7 bucks were taken  1 huge 9 pt 2 nice 8 pt  Three 7 pts and a 6 pt 

prior to 05 most bucks taken were spikes or small 3 pts    very few deer are seen   

As a Nonresident we only draw a doe tag once every four seasons  

we have only ever taken 5 Antlerless deer in the area three of those deer were the individuals first harvest  and one was a first archery deer

This year was the first season in the last 6 that everyone ,4 hunters collectively,  saw a deer by the end of the first weekend , that’s so Not the norm   

More common is individuals not seeing a deer the entire opening weekend   

we go Out of tradition and to go away and our whole family gets together for a few days of deer camp

my father is 81 and already looking forward to this November my only fear is that once he is gone my brothers and cousin will no longer be interested in going 

1 hour ago, Jcol6268 said:

I love Upstate NY, particularly the Northern Tier and the Adirondacks. Nothing like being able to walk 5 miles back and not see a sole (including deer 😂). Some pics from the last couple years. This is the first year we didn’t shoot something on our couple day backpacking hunt. We were there for the 60 degree spell. I went back up to hunt from the “houses” and made a rookie mistake on a decent one after he almost ran me over chasing a doe. I ejected two perfectly good shells trying to figure out why my gun wouldn’t shoot. Turns out the safety on my gun was working fine 😂😂 Marlin 336 Lever in .35 Rem. My other levers don’t have a cross bolt safety lol. Old habits lol and the last few years been using my 7600 Carbine. 

9D661E5F-1545-46BD-87C2-E1B1F46F8B6D.jpeg

A2CEFC76-71FC-4A79-8827-54D562BC722E.jpeg

6F104865-241F-4BD2-ADD7-7BCB7EBEBF6A.jpeg

23F16420-1DC2-44E3-A741-B856F65C4D4E.jpeg

Some really nice NY deer you got over the past couple years :up:

10 minutes ago, fab said:

Central New York and Southern tier are completely different from the mts of the Catskills.  

our family has had a camp for 37 seasons in ulster county 3c. Collectively we’ve taken a total of 22 bucks. Most seasons we have 6 hunters. 9 being the most and 3 being the least.   Antler restrictions went into affect in 2005.  Since then only 7 bucks were taken  1 huge 9 pt 2 nice 8 pt  Three 7 pts and a 6 pt 

prior to 05 most bucks taken were spikes or small 3 pts    very few deer are seen   

As a Nonresident we only draw a doe tag once every four seasons  

we have only ever taken 5 Antlerless deer in the area three of those deer were the individuals first harvest  and one was a first archery deer

This year was the first season in the last 6 that everyone ,4 hunters collectively,  saw a deer by the end of the first weekend , that’s so Not the norm   

More common is individuals not seeing a deer the entire opening weekend   

we go Out of tradition and to go away and our whole family gets together for a few days of deer camp

my father is 81 and already looking forward to this November my only fear is that once he is gone my brothers and cousin will no longer be interested in going 

GREAT FAMILY Tradition, its never about the deer its about the life time of memories that are made on those annual hunts.  Take good care of your DAD !!

1 hour ago, bushden said:

WOW Look at the neck on this guy!!

He was a brute. I was with my son on the last day of our hunt and it was rain and snow. Figured we do spot and stalk and get to check some new stand locations for next season. We tip tied a total of 300 yards in over an hour only seen a few does. My son was loosing his patience and not be careful where he stepped when we got closer to area we knew some bucks frequented cause of cameras we had out. I turned to him to tell him “if you can’t be quiet we are wasting our time” he said “ we haven’t seen anything there’s nothing here”. I turned and 30 yards away this buck was looking right at us. Never got my gun up and he bolted. Lesson learned. Anyway this buck must have been bedded no more than 30 yards from where that pic was taken few days earlier. 

29 minutes ago, Herd Buck said:

Love hunting NY my family has a cabin in Gilboa... deer are scarce great times and memories are plentiful! 

Got this nice 6 with no brow tines opening morning rifle this year. My buddy got the baby 6 on the left the last afternoon we were up there. Lots of [email protected]!! busting the entire trip. 

941BEA9F-7899-4CEE-AF81-53A3B0233362.jpeg

C1BFFC54-75B1-4EC1-A458-D0FE4D7AD7DC.jpeg

That one on the right is a pretty nice heavy deer.