IGNORED

Looking for a GSP puppy

Looking for a pup is an exciting time but can also be stressful. The decision on a breed and a breeder should be a well thought out process. Don't be afraind too ask as many questions as you want, as a reputable breeder should and will be happy to take the time with you so that it is a good fit for both you and the puppy. Reputable breeders should not bad mouth other breeders. 

Assuming that this pup will be a hunting companion and family member some of questions you might like to ask a breeder are:

How long have you been in the breed 

Why did you put this pairing together- what qualiaties are you looking to add to or take away from the breeding.

Have you had any litters in the past and if so would you provide refrences

Are the hips certified on both the sire and the dam. What certification agency was used?  What were they rated

How many gerneations back have the hips been certified

Any other health checks been done on the breeding pair

Has the breeding pair been checked for brucellois; Every dog owner planning a litter needs to make sure their dogs, and any dogs they are planning to use in a breeding program, do not have brucellosis.
• Breeding kennels should be on a brucellosis surveillance program to help assure they are not selling brucellosis infected puppies, or infected adult dogs to the public.
• Anyone purchasing a puppy from a breeder should ask to see negative test results from the dogs that produced the litter of puppies.

Do you belong to any of the testing clubs,(NADKC, NAVHDA).

Why did you put this pairing of dogs together? What were you trying to put into or take out of this litter.

Do you offer an health guarantee

What is your goal as a breeder

Can I see either of the parent(s) in the field?

Is it possible to see any pups from your previous litters in the field

Do not assume that just because you are purchasing one of the hunting breeds that the breeder hunts! Make sure you ask that question.  There are testing dogs and hunting dogs so ask....

Althought I am not planning on a litter anytime in the foreseeable future, if at all, I built a website that  has lots of information that will give you insight to assiting you in your search. If you like send me a private message and I will send you a link to that website.

Good luck in your search.

Bob C.

Nobelhaus gave you a pretty exhaustive list to consider.

I tend to focus on some parts of the process more than others.  For example, my first question to the breeder would be :

Is this breeding expected to produce companion hunting dogs, hunt test dogs or trial dogs?

Do you hunt, do hunt tests or do field trials?  

If you do any of the above, do you train your own dogs?

Can I see the sire or dam in the field?  Do you own both?

If they used an outside sire, I'd ask what he brought to the dance.

Since I focus on field trial pointers, I am not so concerned about health guarantees and hip certifications and such, but if the breed has an issue, I would consider such tests and certification as good faith evidence that the breeder is going the extra mile to make as sure as they can that the pups are quality.  

IMO, the very best advice I can give you is to have an absolutely clear idea of what you want that puppy to be and to do, when it grows up.  If you have a clear idea of what you want, you can communicate that to any breeder and you can usually have a good idea if that breeder is producing the kind of dogs you want yours to be.  If you are not sure...you need to figure most of that  out first.

Remember...Your money, your dog...your call.  

BTW, if you want a relatively close working hunting companion... that is absolutely  fine, because that is what you need and what you want.    

RayG

Edited by birddogger

Foggy Mountain- well written post! What breed and line of dog(s) do you run?

One a “health guarantee” is often nonsense. Here’s the way it commonly works. Ok the dog is sick. Bring it back so I can put it down and give you another. Most won’t do that to fluffy. He’s part of the family now. 

Foggy you are right on the money here. The reason I believe health agreements are in writing is to avoid the scammers. My policy as a basic choice is:

1. Keep the pup and I will replace with a pup from a future breeding. No way I could rip a pup from someon's family.

2. Depending on the issue, keep the pup and  Iwould refund the entire purchase price of the pup. I once had a pup with an issue with an eyelid. That person decided to keep the pup. I offered to pay for the operation or refund the price of the puppy and he keeps the pup. I refunded the price of the pup and he kept the pup.

3. Offer to pay for the surgery

4. Or retuen the pup for a full refund.

I  had a male's testicle not completely dropping, for which I paid for the surgery as that is that this individual had wanted.

When you say that  "not one foot style dog can compete with a horseback style dog. Just ain’t happening given equal training/circumstance. They can always be taught to stay in but not to run bigger".  Ever see how some of the field trialers do get their dogs to run bigger? 

I also completely agree. The issue would be what someone is looking to do with the dog.  For me hunting is not competition,(I did field trial eons ago). I do not want to be back to the truck rather enjoy as much time out with the dogs as possible. My hunting of prefrence is grouse and woodcook so I want a more slower methodical dog. Where I hunt in Maine the cover is normally very thick so I do not want a dog that is out 250 yds or beyond.  The only competition I look for is to see how well I can bring out the best abilities in the pup. I have said this often, it is the breeders responsibility to put into a litter; nose, desire, natural ability, sound temperament, intelligence, conformation and a healthy sound puppy. The environment where the pup is placed brings out the great or not so great abilities of the dog. Range of a dog is one such example heredity  and desire determines the range. It is easier to bring a dog to shorten their range than to increase their range. 

I also want a dog that is jack of all trade but not a master of one single trait. For example,If a bird is shot then that dog better go out and search coming back with the retrieve,whether the dog saw the bird drop or it is a blind retrieve. Or if the bird was shot and is a running bird that dog better hit that track and return too hand that wounded bird.

Again great post!

Foggy,

I am famiiar with those lines, at one time I had a pup out of the old Hidden Hollow dogs started by the Hollowells.  If memory serves me right one also out of Ronlords Ruler. Ruler was trained by Ron Dombrowski before he retired out of the Field trialing circuit and worked for Amwell Preserve. He purchased one of my males for use on the preserve. That was a long time ago. 

Years and I am talking years ago the Hidden Hollow lines here in NJ were pretty dominant lines. Thats when I first met Ron.

There is a big difference in the field trial lines and what I know the average hunter is looking to hunt behind.  Some of those field trialing dogs while excellent dogs as you mentioned I believe are too hot for the average Joe. They get caught up in the titles purchase a pup and then can not handle them.  They are a beautful sight to see when turned loose!

For me, as I mentioned I prefer pups out of hunting lines, ones that are proven in the field under the gun. You mention NAVHDA like their philosophy or not  they are producing some fine pups and companions in the home. Before I switched over to the pure German lines I was pretty heavily involved with NAVHDA, I may test my next pup back into the NAVHDA system but certainly through the NADKC system of testing. NADKC  through the strick rules on breeding continues to produce quality litters.  Regardless of the organization one chooses to participate in,  I always say it is the knowledge and experience of a breeder that one should be looking at when looking to add a pup to their home. 

Foggy:

The excitment when a brace of dogs are released is something to experience. In fact the entire excitment of the entire day is something to witness. The horses, the gallery the entire day where you will see some pretty good dog work.  I can remember soome of the older dogs, some of the greatest of all time out of some of the best kennels of all time. But then that dates me...lol

Shinback, Checkmates Dandy Dude, Monkeyshines, Tip Top Timmy, Udibors, Hewlett, Von Holsters, Fieldacres 1B, Hidden Hollow , Rawhides Clown and then some! 

We have three male vizsla pups left out of a litter of nine. 3 1/2 weeks old.   Own both dam and sire.  AKC registered. Live on wooded land adjacent to Worthington.  Our dogs serve as watch dogs/family companions and their job is to keep coyotes etc away from house. They run to their heart's content. No, we are not licensed breeders.  No, they are not show dogs.  No, we did not do the hip certification.  No, we did not plan this mating.   Yes, first heat.  Dam and sire from same breeder in Iowa.  No, they are not blood-related.  (We may be foolish but we are not stupid.)IMG_7547.thumb.JPG.65649e54632601306b1f786793164c39.JPG We are not even hunters although we most certainly support them and the 2A.   Yes, all have the potential for whatever training or showing you would like to do.    Have sold the first six to homes with various purposes; including two hunters.  Would prefer not to have to screen any more city dwellers who think they want a Velcro dog but have no land for them to run.  IMG_7413.thumb.JPG.2b17681e9d285273c02dd3a04b827c44.JPG

Edited by CoopDawg
typo

Not sure if you plan on getting one out of state, but Kaj Larson Hunt ‘em Up Kennels is a class act that produces fine pups (I have two). I still talk to him, 9 years later. Pm me if you have any questions. Would be happy to help. 

Good luck and enjoy the process!