Who runs snow tires?

Swamp_Yankee

I bought relatively inexpensive wheels and added Goodyear Duratracs. I do this for not only snow (as I will hunt in state forest regardless of snow depth) but also because I think it helps launching /retrieving the jon boat I use at some of the possibly slippery/icy ramps I use. So Thanksgiving or so on and about April 1st off. Just swap the wheels via a friend of mine's garage lift.

1 minute ago, Deadeye said:

I bought relatively inexpensive wheels and added Goodyear Duratracs. I do this for not only snow (as I will hunt in state forest regardless of snow depth) but also because I think it helps launching /retrieving the jon boat I use at some of the possibly slippery/icy ramps I use. So Thanksgiving or so on and about April 1st off. Just swap the wheels via a friend of mine's garage lift.

1290772574_canoeontruck.jpg.d2b6d25331d37b3e8353cd5c879accc5.jpg

Got the Yokos mounted on the wife's van on Wednesday-holy hell what a difference.  I took it out this past snowstorm into a completely unplowed area with about 6" of snow-it was like driving on dry pavement.  Pretty much proves that putting all seasons on an AWD is like rowing a speedboat.  

so I'll preface...i've never run snow tires. I mean I ran my 87 mustang up to Killington, Mt. snow, NH, etc multiple times on Goodyears. 

Currently my Sonata and Optima both run the Cooper Adventure Tour tires that are great in Rain/Snow.

On 2/13/2021 at 1:13 PM, Woodsman416 said:

They're not called snow tires they're called winter tires

There are two main differences between winter tires and all season tires.

The first is rubber compound. The rubber on winter tires remains more pliable at temperatures below 45 degrees, all season compounds stiffen up below 45. So winter tires conform to the shape of the road and flex better at lower temperature giving better cold weather traction and performance. Conversely, winter tires become much softer over 45 degrees, wear much faster and have mushy feel when cornering and during accel/decel than all seasons. 

The second difference is siping in the tread blocks. Winter tires have a lot more sipes than all season tires. Those small cuts in the tread blocks are designed to grab and hold snow. The only thing that sticks to snow is snow. To gain traction in snow you don't want a tire to dig through it or paddle it out of the way. A winter tire when driving on snow will be packed with snow.

North of us winter tires are beneficial more years than not. South of us they're not even a consideration. In New jersey it's a crap shoot.

What do you know about tires?? If you want to know about tires, ask me...

14 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

What do you know about tires?? If you want to know about tires, ask me...

Now I know Nick was drinking tonight when I spoke with him. 

BUT HE IS TAKING OUT THE GOOD STUFF IT LOOKS LIKE AND GROWING A PAIR! 

Bahahahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahhaa! 

That was funny Nicholas :rofl::rofl:

image.png.73f95ec3af5d8fcf2ce4ab0d901904e5.png

I had dedicated snow tires for my '86 Monte Carlo in the 80's-90's. The car was light in the rear so concrete blocks and a bag of sand was in the trunk for traction. You did whatever it took to get to work on unplowed roads from Jefferson through Rt.80 E.
It's hard to find an aggressive tread tires for 20" AWD suv wheels.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, archer36 said:

I thought they were illegal in NJ. 

According to AAA studded tires are legal between November 15th and April 1st:

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/studded-tires/

However, when you check Title 39 (NJ Motor Vehicle Statutes) it only mentions chains, basically saying that they can be used whenever deemed necessary:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-3-73/

That said unless you're dealing with actual ice or extremely hardpacked snow I don't see the need for them.  I have seen people running them in NJ from time to time.  

2 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

According to AAA studded tires are legal between November 15th and April 1st:

https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/studded-tires/

However, when you check Title 39 (NJ Motor Vehicle Statutes) it only mentions chains, basically saying that they can be used whenever deemed necessary:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2013/title-39/section-39-3-73/

That said unless you're dealing with actual ice or extremely hardpacked snow I don't see the need for them.  I have seen people running them in NJ from time to time.  

Well I think you can only add them to "snow tires" anyway, not all season radial tires. 

4 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well I think you can only add them to "snow tires" anyway, not all season radial tires. 

There are all-seasons that are studdable.  I used to have General Grabber AT2s on my old pickup that were studdable-Goodyear DuraTracs are as well.   Both were decent in the snow on a conventional 4x4 but not great.  I'd be curious to see how they would perform with studs.  

7 minutes ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

There are all-seasons that are studdable.  I used to have General Grabber AT2s on my old pickup that were studdable-Goodyear DuraTracs are as well.   Both were decent in the snow on a conventional 4x4 but not great.  I'd be curious to see how they would perform with studs.  

Well if you are in an area with a lot of ice that does not get good attention, then studded tires can help a lot. I know years ago when I owned a REAR DRIVE vehicle, they were very useful. 

19 minutes ago, archer36 said:

Well if you are in an area with a lot of ice that does not get good attention, then studded tires can help a lot. I know years ago when I owned a REAR DRIVE vehicle, they were very useful. 

Our biggest issue is the fact that with a gravel road no matter how much you plow you just can't scrape it clean.  I plowed yesterday but this is what it looks like right now:

20210220_093954.thumb.jpg.3b943a921c5167895c4c49b6968a95b8.jpg

You can see the slight grade on the left-that's the parking area next to the house-going the other direction is out to the county road which has a fairly significant grade before it levels out for the last 200 yards or so.  With all-seasons on the AWD minivan it was a crapshoot depending on how much snow was on the ground and how slick it was.  Dry powdery snow seemed to provide more traction than heavier wetter snow which would pack into ice.  With the snow tires on it now I honestly don't even need to plow if its less than 6" or so which is good because it means that if I'm working (and during storms I often am) that she doesn't necessarily need to wait for me or my neighbor to plow so that she can get out and won't get stuck on the hill, etc...

Edited by Swamp_Yankee

3 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

Our biggest issue is the fact that with a gravel road no matter how much you plow you just can't scrape it clean.  I plowed yesterday but this is what it looks like right now:

20210220_093954.thumb.jpg.3b943a921c5167895c4c49b6968a95b8.jpg

You can see the slight grade on the left-that's the parking area next to the house-going the other direction is out to the county road which has a fairly significant grade before it levels out for the last 200 yards or so.  With all-seasons on the AWD minivan it was a crapshoot depending on how much snow was on the ground and how slick it was.  Dry powdery snow seemed to provide more traction than heavier wetter snow which would pack into ice.  With the snow tires on it now I honestly don't even need to plow if its less than 6" or so which is good because it means that if I'm working (and during storms I often am) that she doesn't necessarily need to wait for me or my neighbor to plow so that she can get out and won't get stuck on the hill, etc...

Our driveway and parking spots are gravel,we've absolutely not the distance between there and the paved road as you. But it's a pita though. I got stuck at the end a few times with cars and minivans. I shovel alot of what i can. But even a plow,which i don't have or know anyone can do it for use will have that much of sn effect...Well this year no issues at all for me in out or around my driveway. I haven't even needed to use the 4wd. I missed having that so much. I dislike shoveling and driving the roads with 2wd

Took a fun little round trip to Clinton to get my older dog's stitches out and decided to try out the new snow shoes on the wife's van in real world conditions.  As of 12:30 p.m. no local roads were plowed at all and county/state roads were complete slop:

image.thumb.png.ca9c7867e53a73dbf52cee472177bf8d.png

image.thumb.png.099f52cdfc9d6ceb701eaa0d6ca735a0.png

On the way home I pulled off of 31 because I was tired of crawling behind people doing 20MPH and went up Fountain Grove Road.  For those of you who are local you know that the grade and curves on that road are no joke even when its just wet.  I climbed up (past two cars that couldn't make it and were turning around) without a problem at all :up: