IGNORED

Savage 220 - Which Slug Would You Choose?

yoda4x4

2 hours ago, yoda4x4 said:

As I mentioned, I didn't let the gun cool down between the 5 shots. Maybe that had something to do with it.

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

given that you expect to do this with just one shot then maybe it would be worth taking longer between shots to see if a cooler barrel does tighten your groups up.

given that you expect to do this with just one shot then maybe it would be worth taking longer between shots to see if a cooler barrel does tighten your groups up.
That's one thing I considered but being that the gun holds 3 rounds, I was interested to see how well the pattern would hold up with multiple shots. For the scenario you presented, in theory, groups are almost irrelevant.

David

Just now, yoda4x4 said:

That's one thing I considered but being that the gun holds 3 rounds, I was interested to see how well the pattern would hold up with multiple shots. For the scenario you presented, in theory, groups are almost irrelevant.

David

Not really because if it does not tighten up after cooling down between shots using slug X then you will know not to use slug X with your set up.  On the other hand if it does tighten the group up then you will have piece of mind using slug X.

YMMV just my $0.02

Not really because if it does not tighten up after cooling down between shots using slug X then you will know not to use slug X with your set up.  On the other hand if it does tighten the group up then you will have piece of mind using slug X.
YMMV just my $0.02
I completely agree that shooting each time with a cold barrel should give better groups. But I wanted to see the worst case scenario with a heated barrel.

David

10 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

I completely agree that shooting each time with a cold barrel should give better groups. But I wanted to see the worst case scenario with a heated barrel.

David

Stainless or blued steel barrel would heat differently as well.

Edited by electric10162

Stainless or blued steel barrel would heat differently as well.
That's true but I only have one barrel to be concerned with so that's not a part of my equation. And we all know that every gun could shoot totally different than another.

David

1 minute ago, yoda4x4 said:

That's true but I only have one barrel to be concerned with so that's not a part of my equation. And we all know that every gun could shoot totally different than another.

David

Was just pointing out that SS barrel heating could affect a multiple round group quicker than steel on another's weapon. 

Was just pointing out that SS barrel heating could affect a multiple round group quicker than steel on another's weapon. 
Oh absolutely. Each material has a different heating and expansion. Heck, every barrel has its own profile. Of course in theory the manufacturer likes to think that every one is the same.

David

small tweak in your groups needed, nothing major
2.5"/3" high at 50 yards will put you dead center at about 160/170 yards
Hey Joe - all these groups were shot at 100 yds. And as far as changing the POI vs POA, I won't be changing that to reach out to 150 yds like you do because I don't have a single location capable of shooting that far.

David

My Savage shoots both the 3" Accutips and Expanders the same......I stuck with Accutips for the fact I was unable to find more Expanders, the Expanders are in fact a better round on game, just devastating, as soon as Barnes releases their Vor-Tex Slugs I will purchase them

image.png.7fca08772f890fe61a0b8d237aebc2b6.png

Edited by BHC