IGNORED

Savage 220 - Which Slug Would You Choose?

yoda4x4

Some time ago I made my way to the range to test out a few different loads with my Savage 220. I shot each round 5 times with no cooling in between shots; all shots were taken at 100 yds. The 2 rounds that stood out the best were: Remington Accutip 20ga 2-3/4" and Federal Trophy Copper 20ga 3" (pictures of groups attached). Normally I would just pick the one with the smallest grouping, but given the fact that Accutips are consistently difficult to find, I'm considering going to the Federals. What do you think?

David78d23f1e0aa245e25c50c61d03868e54.jpgaaeef3e1db38a6d82c5f55a175481a4e.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

I started with the 3” Federals. They group fine. Killed a few deer this year with them so I’m sticking with them. I always shot accutips out of my H&R. My 220 seems to like the Federals just fine, not going back to Accutips even if they come available. The Federals I felt put them down quicker at long range. And they are still made and not up in the air.

Edited by Lungsonlvs

13 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

Some time ago I made my way to the range to test out a few different loads with my Savage 220. I shot each round 5 times with no cooling in between shots; all shots were taken at 100 yds. The 2 rounds that stood out the best were: Remington Accutip 20ga 2-3/4" and Federal Trophy Copper 20ga 3" (pictures of groups attached). Normally I would just pick the one with the smallest grouping, but given the fact that Accutips are consistently difficult to find, I'm considering going to the Federals. What do you think?

David78d23f1e0aa245e25c50c61d03868e54.jpgaaeef3e1db38a6d82c5f55a175481a4e.jpg

Don't forget you are hunting deer with it, not hummingbirds. Go with what is available and maybe even cheaper since both and I bet all will kill a deer at 100 yards.

Don't forget you are hunting deer with it, not hummingbirds. Go with what is available and maybe even cheaper since both and I bet all will kill a deer at 100 yards.

Federals are not cheap... I've only found one supplier selling them at $4.40/round.

David

16 minutes ago, yoda4x4 said:

Federals are not cheap... I've only found one supplier selling them at $4.40/round.

David

To be honest with you I would not pay $4.40/round to hunt deer with it in NJ. There is no need for it, much cheaper rounds will get the job done as well. 

Hey David, you kinda answered your own question, if those two rounds give you comparable accuracy, then go with the ones you can find. 
If youre asking simply from the accuracy standpoint, my partner and I tested every conceivable slug from the 220s back when they came out. 
we determined the Accutip 2-3/4” had the best overall performance in regards to accuracy/recoil. However, when the REM Barnes Expanders came out and I tested them, they were equally or slightly more accurate then the Accutips, but with better expansion, so I switched to the Expanders. 
That being said, I can’t find either easily available, so that may be your biggest consideration at the moment. 

Edited by Pathman

Hey David, you kinda answered your own question, if those two rounds give you comparable accuracy, then go with the ones you can find. 
If youre asking simply from the accuracy standpoint, my partner and I tested every conceivable slug from the 220s back when they came out. 
we determined the Accutip 2-3/4” had the best overall performance in regards to accuracy/recoil. However, when the REM Barnes Expanders came out and I tested them, they were equally or slightly more accurate then the Accutips, but with better expansion, so I switched to the Expanders. 
That being said, I can’t find either easily available, so that may be your biggest consideration at the moment. 
It's funny you mentioning the Expanders because I tried them and they weren't as good as the others; not even close.

David

I sold my 220.  It shot the 2-3/4" accutips the best and was like a rifle.  Every deer I shot ran quite a distance, tho dead on its feet.  But they did drop bears in their tracks.  Then I wondered why I needed such accuracy shooting deer at under 100 yards, mostly under 50.  I'll use my beater Mossberg pump with Lightfields.  Everything I ever shot with that combo dropped in its tracks.  

Most of the saboted rounds shoot good enough at distances under 100 yards to make a kill. Zeroing a certain brand and sticking with it is most the important aspect of good shooting you can do. If you change brands because you cannot find yours you are asking for disappointment, you might get lucky and hit your mark but then you might not and if you do miss that big boy you will regret not taking the time to re zero the new brand. I personally like accutips because them shoot best out of my 220, close enough is not good enough. Which ever brand works b3st in you specific gun is what you should use there is no cookie cutter approach when it comes to bullets in you gun.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

14 minutes ago, Pathman said:

mod your asking simply from the accuracy standpoint, my partner and I tested every conceivable slug from the 220s back when they came out. 
we determined the Accutip 2-3/4” have the best overall performance in regards to accuracy/recoil. However, when the REM Barnes Expanders came out and I tested them, they were equally or slightly more accurate then the Accutips, but with better expansion, so I switched to the Expanders. 

Pathman, I did the same with my 220 and as you said with yours mine shoots 2 3/4" the best. Even the 3" accutips were not as good as the 2 3/4. I spend a lot of time and money on the range but it was worth it. I will not hesitate to shoot at 150 yards with the 220 and have only missed on long shot and after a look at trajectory path I found a branch in 20 yards in front of me that I hit that threw my shot off enough to miss the deer at about 130

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL