IGNORED

Remington Model 7600 35 Whelen Carbine Old ad that got off track - Hunting Maine in this one.

GilV

50 minutes ago, GilV said:

Did you weigh the 192 Maine weight? They weigh them with the lungs, liver and heart still in the deer. There are many bucks in the Maine Antler and Skull club that had them in them.

Nope, he was completely cleaned out. Drew a crowd at the check station, no one guessed less than 225 lbs but the scale read true at 192.  Not in late season but he was very lean, and not a long deer. You can see his length when compared to my brothers spike.

20171118_133716.thumb.jpg.acc692457b201cda46f8cff0aa624e32.jpg

20171118_133526.thumb.jpg.98ec756c26d9685ea2d1b092773ab421.jpg

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

All those nutrients went into those horns! You would have made it with the lungs liver and heart still inside. Either he is short or that spike is huge!

PS- looks like there was a rule change - 6. The minimum dressed weight must be 200 pounds without heart, lungs, or liver. (This would mean live weight of slightly more than 250 pounds, on the average.)

Edited by GilV

7 hours ago, DV1 said:

Nope, he was completely cleaned out. Drew a crowd at the check station, no one guessed less than 225 lbs but the scale read true at 192.  Not in late season but he was very lean, and not a long deer. You can see his length when compared to my brothers spike.

20171118_133716.thumb.jpg.acc692457b201cda46f8cff0aa624e32.jpg

20171118_133526.thumb.jpg.98ec756c26d9685ea2d1b092773ab421.jpg

Nice bucks! I personally would have let that spike buck walk. Plenty of meat deer here in NJ. But its up to the hunter.

1 hour ago, trapoholic said:

I personally would have let that spike buck walk. Plenty of meat deer here in NJ. But its up to the hunter.

My brother has hunted Maine for many years. That was the first buck he killed there, and he killed it still hunting a 3 year old slash in the rain. Said it meant as much to him as any monster he killed in Ohio, and he has killed plenty of them.

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation UNDER GOD, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

1 hour ago, GilV said:

As long as it is legal they are all good bucks.

I definitely get it. I just meant that I personally would have passed up that buck. I have passed up on countless bucks in NJ and NY and do not regret any. Hunting is not a numbers game for me or any kind of contest with the other guys in camp. Hunting in Maine is more about the hunter than the deer.

As you just explained it, that is how I took it.

Many hunters including Jersey hunters pass up many deer every year. I had a horse farm in Jackson NJ, across from Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club. Colliers Mills was also across the street. The hunters I knew in that area passed up anything under 130. Colliers Mills is hit hard but yet there were many good bucks on my property. One was taken by Jackson PO that scored 163 typical. I saw that deer with 3 others in velvet. It looked like caribou. By passing deer, there were many rack bucks that would never had made it past 1.5 years when I first started hunting in 1968. 

Now the only reason I hunt deer is for food and friendship. My days of trophy hunting are long gone. It had gotten to be work and not fun.

I said I would pass anything in Maine if it wasn't a nice buck. I would go in deep. Near dark a spike came in. As soon I saw spikes, I could hear someone screaming shoot shoot. Go figure. I had just gotten diagnosed with very high blood pressure (220 over 140). I just started taking medication. Good thing it was a small deer because I had a long drag. I just took my time and took breaks. As I dragged out the deer it started to snow lightly.  I would sit down and just enjoy it. It was better than breaking a sweat to try to get out as fast I could.

There was a funny ending to this story, but I guarantee I won't forget that deer.

Edited by GilV

Track it again off topic but I love the stories!

Mark you remember that guy what was his name on njh Mainebux? His son shot a deer that went into the record books as a juvenile.

Here's one for the books holy moly.:nerd:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/story/hunting/the-110-year-old-deer-record-that-may-never-be-beaten/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

26 minutes ago, hunterbob1 said:

Mark you remember that guy what was his name on njh Mainebux? His son shot a deer that went into the record books as a juvenile.

Here is a pic of it.  

IMG_20161112_160039256.jpg

Edited by Nomad

7 minutes ago, GilV said:

What a beautiful buck! The chance of seeing a buck like that is one of the reasons I hunt Maine. The other reasons are deer history, lore and the remoteness of where I hunt there.

Look at the Mass on those horns! Look at the size of that bucks neck! WOW!!!