Pond Hockey Time!

Nice!!! when my kids were small and were playing hockey I would bring diesel light tower from work. Then we would clear a large area with a snow blower and I with my kids and many other kids from the neighborhood had games all night long. Great times!!!
Natural ice, if its cold, is much harder than any men maid ice. It makes you feel like you have double the speed and control. Its hard on the blades so re sharpening is frequent. 
Have fun!!

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Natural ice, if its cold, is much harder than any men maid ice. It makes you feel like you have double the speed and control. Its hard on the blades so re sharpening is frequent.

In my younger years I drove a Zamboni and was a general rink rat through high school and college.  Most rinks I worked at ran at about 15°F slab temperature which, depending on ice thickness would translate to about 20-21°F surface ice temperature.  We kept our ice at around an inch and half or so because it made for easy maintenance-no worries about getting too thin in spots and burning out the paint or breaking through to the concrete.  Pro rinks keep their ice at about 3/4" to 1" for exactly the reason you mention-less distance between the chilled slab and the ice surface makes for colder, harder, faster ice.  I've been lucky enough to skate on natural ice only a handful of times in my 39 years.  Growing up there was a farm pond down the road that froze a few times.  Brainerd Lake in Cranbury was as a good one as its pretty shallow.  

Wow, brings back alot of memories as a kid!  I grew up in Bergen county, skated at the Ridgewood duck pond and memorial pool when they used to flood the parking lot.  Then in HS and college we used to rent out the ice rink in Paramus, get a whole gang of us together and play late at night.  Some days we would sneak onto Arcola country club and play on a pond there.  One time an orange ball comes rolling onto the ice, and the guy who hit it is yelling for us not to touch it.  He comes on the ice, hits it off and walks away.  My friends and I were rolling around on the ice hysterical !  

12 hours ago, Swamp_Yankee said:

In my younger years I drove a Zamboni and was a general rink rat through high school and college.  Most rinks I worked at ran at about 15°F slab temperature which, depending on ice thickness would translate to about 20-21°F surface ice temperature.  We kept our ice at around an inch and half or so because it made for easy maintenance-no worries about getting too thin in spots and burning out the paint or breaking through to the concrete.  Pro rinks keep their ice at about 3/4" to 1" for exactly the reason you mention-less distance between the chilled slab and the ice surface makes for colder, harder, faster ice.  I've been lucky enough to skate on natural ice only a handful of times in my 39 years.  Growing up there was a farm pond down the road that froze a few times.  Brainerd Lake in Cranbury was as a good one as its pretty shallow.  

(I was going to say 1.5" is very thick) I skated in MSG, and old old Spectrum. The worse Ice I ever skated on, very soft. 
The best ice around was winter Old Bridge rink when temps dropped below freezing. Its a half open ring so when it was cold the ice was very hard.  

19 minutes ago, 2 Brits said:

Wow, brings back alot of memories as a kid!  I grew up in Bergen county, skated at the Ridgewood duck pond and memorial pool when they used to flood the parking lot.  Then in HS and college we used to rent out the ice rink in Paramus, get a whole gang of us together and play late at night.  Some days we would sneak onto Arcola country club and play on a pond there.  One time an orange ball comes rolling onto the ice, and the guy who hit it is yelling for us not to touch it.  He comes on the ice, hits it off and walks away.  My friends and I were rolling around on the ice hysterical !  

I am 59 in December and we never stopped renting ice for late night games. I am with two groups doing it, one in South Brunswick and one in Wall. Email makes it easy. We sent out game time announcement and first 20 to 25 emails back are in. We make up the teams in the locker rooms and we play non stop without referee.  

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

(I was going to say 1.5" is very thick) I skated in MSG, and old old Spectrum. The worse Ice I ever skated on, very soft.   The best ice around was winter Old Bridge rink when temps dropped below freezing. Its a half open ring so when it was cold the ice was very hard.  

1.5" is thick but when you're resurfacing once an hour or once every 90 minutes from 5:00 a.m. to midnight or later all weekend for practices, games, open skate, etc...it gives you enough cushion to not have to constantly flood an area to keep adequate ice over it.  No matter what when you pour a slab that big there's always high spots that will create problem areas plus the area behind the goal crease is always low since it gets passed over multiple times during a single resurfacing.  Pro rinks that are only used for games or maybe ice skating shows here and there have the luxury of lots of downtime between events.  Indoor arenas are tough because its a huge volume of air to manage-not so much in terms of temperature but humidity.  Cold humid air will actually transfer more heat to the ice than warm dry air.  I've skated at Old Bridge as well as Mercer County Park with temperatures in the teens and low humidity-best ice there is :up: