IGNORED

35 Rem vs 30-30 Win

Bonefreak

30 minutes ago, gregtpal said:

I had 1.  Bullet is fine up to 100 yds or so.  Not so much beyond.  Always figured 30-30 was little flatter shooting

35 remington is solid out to 200 yards in my experience and I've seen that envelope pushed even further by a few people I know.  That is fine for just about any hunt in North America as far as Im concerned, especially anything on the East coast.  If I know I was going to be consistently shooting 150+, I'd probably pick a different caliber,  but for most rifle hunting I've ever done it did the trick

Edited by not on the rug

Like my 336 .35 but ammo is very hard to find. I read an article a while ago that most ammo makers limit the amount they produce cause not much of a demand. Now with the hoarding going on it’s nearly impossible to find and when you do it’s a fortune. 
I use to use that gun for deer drives up in NY many years ago. I took scope off just for that. 

1 hour ago, gregtpal said:

I had 1.  Bullet is fine up to 100 yds or so.  Not so much beyond.  Always figured 30-30 was little flatter shooting

I’ve shot my 336 in 35 up to 300 yards with decent deer killing groups. Not that I’d shoot that far off the bench 

29 minutes ago, not on the rug said:

Anyone have experience with a 35 Whelen?  I was always intrigued, but never got to shoot one

My cousin owns one in a pump action. I’m not 100% on the manufacture but it might be Remington. In the 20 plus years he’s owned it he only took 1 Pa buck with with it. It’s NOT his preferred rifle and he’d rather hunt with one of his other rifles. This is only second hand experience. Sorry for the vague response but hope it helps. 
I believe he prefers his Browning A bolt .270 over the 35 Whelen . 

Edited by CapeCod