IGNORED

Fiddle heads

Billy Z

I’ve got a huge patch of ostrich fern in my side yard that I always pick a few out of each spring. Should I charge admission and do a “pick your own” for members here?!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

9 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The only precaution is make sure it’s the right fern. They have a groove like celery stalk. No hairs and if you look in a fiddlehead patch you’ll see what looks like brown feathers. Pretty easy to identify if you know what to look for

I missed Greybeard's video.  If you have more to add, per my earlier inquiry, all info is appreciated.

5 minutes ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The pic posted is good. So is the video. Remember anywhere near a trout stream you fish at. Think of the ferny spots. I bet there are fiddleheads there. Remember what he said. Look for the groove, the brown wax paper looking stuff covering young ones, you could see the “feathers” in his video. When fiddle heads first start emerging they form sorta bumps it looks like in the earth. You’d probably never notice them until someone showed you. In Maine for instance they look in ditches not near streams. Gotta be wettish. What part of NJ are you from? 

Thanks for the info.  I'm from Northern NJ, Morris County, and I spend a lot of time hunting and fishing in Sussex and Warren counties.

10 hours ago, Billy Z said:

how big is the window to find them? 1 month?

Maybe less. I’m not the type of person that looks at a calendar to decide when I will pick them. Instead, it’s usually when I’m fly fishing or doing river restoration that I notice them and start picking them that day. But pretty quickly they grow into fern leaves.  The window could be much less.