Jump to content
IGNORED

Fiddle heads


Billy Z

Recommended Posts

When I was young, I use to spring bear hunt in New Brunswick every spring.  I remember there was always one week when the fiddleheads would sprout and the bears would be on them and only them.  You would never see a bear on a bait that week as they would primarily eat those fiddleheads.  They must taste good, lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

When I was young, I use to spring bear hunt in New Brunswick every spring.  I remember there was always one week when the fiddleheads would sprout and the bears would be on them and only them.  You would never see a bear on a bait that week as they would primarily eat those fiddleheads.  They must taste good, lol

Thats where I had them first time. The outfitter served us some with dinner and it was delish 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, JJoe said:

Always had them as a side dish in Maine. Same simple receipe, butter and salt n pepper..  Anyone ever see them for sale around here? 

Only a couple more months.

https://www.mainelobsternow.com/grocery/fresh-maine-fiddleheads?

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Grew some in my yard.  Have some pics that will show which are good and which are poisonous.  Hairy heads instead of bald like in op pic are not good to eat.  See if I can find them.   Haven't eaten any yet, but I'm ready to for when there is no food on the shelves.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

Grew some in my yard.  Have some pics that will show which are good and which are poisonous.  Hairy heads instead of bald like in op pic are not good to eat.  See if I can find them.   Haven't eaten any yet, but I'm ready to for when there is no food on the shelves.

Here you go Indian Bob.

https://nativefoodsnursery.com/fiddlehead-fern/

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

I collect them every spring.  We love them in salads, on pizzas with shrooms, or pan fried as a side veggie.   

Do you offer  curbside pickup?:nerd:

Edited by hunterbob1

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

Why buy them they’re plentiful 

Can you offer some guidance on which are safe to eat and which ones to avoid?  Are they relatively common in NJ or somewhat rare like morel mushrooms?  Any pictures available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Thats where I had them first time. The outfitter served us some with dinner and it was delish 

Same here. We were wondering if the locals were “normal” as we thought everybody had “fiddleheads on the brain” up there. They did taste good though!

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...