what wading staff do you use?

Couple times this waterfowl season I would be wading in some deep mucky mud and would say to myself, "I need to cut off a pole from a shovel or broom and bring it with me to help me walk in this stuff so I don't fall in".

Then I found out about this thing! https://www.mojooutdoors.com/products/accessories/mojo-wading-pole-the-knot

That's exactly what I want. But then I quickly found out that a "wading staff" is a thing and there's tons of them out there - some $30, some over $100!

What wading staff do you use/recommend?

I'm looking for something for use out in the marsh or salt water (not for, say, trout fishing in moving streams) - so it needs to handle salt water and needs to be able to help move around in wader-boot-sucking mud, not just hard bottom stream beds.

35 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Couple times this waterfowl season I would be wading in some deep mucky mud and would say to myself, "I need to cut off a pole from a shovel or broom and bring it with me to help me walk in this stuff so I don't fall in".

Then I found out about this thing! https://www.mojooutdoors.com/products/accessories/mojo-wading-pole-the-knot

That's exactly what I want. But then I quickly found out that a "wading staff" is a thing and there's tons of them out there - some $30, some over $100!

What wading staff do you use/recommend?

I'm looking for something for use out in the marsh or salt water (not for, say, trout fishing in moving streams) - so it needs to handle salt water and needs to be able to help move around in wader-boot-sucking mud, not just hard bottom stream beds.

Now that pretty nice !!

xyza7.jpg

I dono, the mud where i hunt and i suspect where you are is so soft that having a pole probably won't help. Once you start across, your best bet is to never stop moving, once you do you can be up to ass and that turns into a chore to get legs out. Some wacky mud back in the sedge banks, but keep feet moving and you can get across. Watch tides is more important. would hate to be on wrong side with tide rolling in. 

I hate that mud. When I was younger a buddy was a decoy stud. He would wade in anywhere with zest! One day I told him this spot, in particular which was located on the upper Mullica, has some strange holes/old stumps and be careful. As usual he would snicker and bust my balls. Well, he hit a cedar mud hole and sank up to his nipples, very entertaining situation to say the least. He was stuck!!  I had to jack him out with the canoe.  Being a former lifeguard I have tremendous respect for water. He was Lucky that he was not alone. 

unlike a trout stream wading staff i would think you want something with more surface area for the mud etc...shouldnt be to difficult to build your own. i would even say start off with a hickory pole from a broken lawn/landscaping tool and go from there. 

2 hours ago, Bucksnbows said:

Don't overthink this.  Go to any ski area and dig through their lost poles and you are all set for free.  The basket at the bottom should help with deep mud.  

i have never skied so im not sure on the skie poles. are they flexible? if i were stuck in mud i would want something more stout to give my self more surface area to get out. for example, using the pole horizontal to my body to help pull myself out, rather then something flexible. almost seems like a narrow canoe paddle would be good for this situation. being stuck in mud with tidal water could kill a man. 

I use a Walmart telescoping hiking staff for trout fishing. I keep it fully extended.The clamps let it slip so I crushed the ends of the sections with a vise grip pliers.

Do not use a Primos Trigger Stick. I tried that once and ruined the Trigger Stick. Once it gets soaked it will no longer hold the extension

Edited by 230jhp
12 hours ago, Kype said:

i have never skied so im not sure on the skie poles. are they flexible? if i were stuck in mud i would want something more stout to give my self more surface area to get out. for example, using the pole horizontal to my body to help pull myself out, rather then something flexible. almost seems like a narrow canoe paddle would be good for this situation. being stuck in mud with tidal water could kill a man. 

just carry a     2x6:happywave:

13 hours ago, Kype said:

No, they are rigid.  A small amount of flex, but not much at all.   

I mostly hunt solo so I try not to get in too deep having almost learned the hard way a couple times.   I now carry a telescoping reach pole that has a maximum diameter of about 1.5 inches and will reach out about 18 feet.  Without extension its about 6 feet.  I use it as a pole for balance in muck soils and crossing ditches and to retrieve decoys and fallen birds.