IGNORED

CRAZY STORY AND PIC FROM MY PAST

nmc02

Around 10 years ago I was a permittee on deprivation goose permit at a local beach. I would go in the morning and shoot geese on the beach. I arrived and shot at a goose and heard a very light  POP when I pulled the trigger and the shell ejected. I then pulled back up and attempted a second shot, as my first shot missed the goose. When I pulled the trigger,  the gun EXPLODED in my hands. Apparently, the first load did not exit the barrel. I contacted winchester/browning, as the gun was new. Luckily, I collected the spent shells (2) and sent the gun and spent shells to them. I received a call from the them saying the cause was the result of a squib shell (light primer or not enough powder). A defect, either way. They immediately asked what new gun I wanted and over nighted it to me. I asked them to send me back the damaged gun, but refused (probably feared a lawsuit). Anyway, lesson learned and hopefully I save someone here from the same possibility of injury. BTW I was uninjured, but my ears rang for days. See the pic....

Resized_Really_a_moron.jpeg

Resized_Really_a_moron.jpeg

Edited by nmc02

8 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

:shock:

I'm surprised they gave you a new gun - sounds like it was faulty ammo - not the gun. Did you can contact the ammo manufacturer (or are you saying that IS who you sent the gun and shells too?)

You are correct....it was winchester brand ammo, which is owned by Olin. Olin replaced the gun. I should have checked for an obstruction, but didn't think to at the time. Lesson learned.

Edited by nmc02

The real lesson to be learned here is anytime you hear a pop but no bang, wait 5 minutes before you open the breach it could be a bad shell that primer goes off and no bang which could also mean a slow cook off and possibility an  explosion in your face when you open the gun, that is why you wait the 5 minutes, next step once you open safely is to check for obstruction.  They teach that in Basic Military Marksmanship Training.  Its a miracle you did not get hurt.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL