IGNORED

Pedestal mounts?

the truth

Got a pedestal mount I’m getting done for my biggest buck and I’m still up in the air on ideas. It’s gonna be the centerpiece of my living room and I’m looking for ideas. I already have a Makers Mark whiskey barrel I’m putting it on, but that’s as far as I’ve got. Let’s see your pedestal mounts. Wall or base mounted and what form you chose. Help me out!

That’s a great start.  You could always add habitat around the deer or barrel to give it some extra.  I’ve always thought the barbed wire fences were a cool extra.  But I always like to make my mounts look like what the actual hunt looked like.  For instance if you were in a laurel swamp put some mountain laurel around it to bring character to the mount.  If you were in w a poplar or birch grove then add them types of logs/leaves.  Bring much more to the mount IMO.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, the truth said:

Got a pedestal mount I’m getting done for my biggest buck and I’m still up in the air on ideas. It’s gonna be the centerpiece of my living room and I’m looking for ideas. I already have a Makers Mark whiskey barrel I’m putting it on, but that’s as far as I’ve got. Let’s see your pedestal mounts. Wall or base mounted and what form you chose. Help me out!

Can we see the barrel? Sounds interesting

Sounds like it will be a beauty I like the idea of the barrel.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

6 minutes ago, the truth said:

B5274305-0575-407D-8A75-F8E3C3400583.jpeg

0725D173-9A5D-44FA-ABEF-8CB10DFE346F.jpeg

Very nice!
If they were mine I would rub some Linseed oil onto the wood. It brings the grain out and it will make it more brown.
Of course that's just a personal taste, you may like the way they look and that's just fine

Just now, Lunatic said:

Very nice!
If they were mine I would rub some Linseed oil onto the wood. It brings the grain out and it will make it more brown.
Of course that's just a personal taste, you may like the way they look and that's just fine

I will definitely prep the barrel. Gonna use some rust stop stuff on the bands to keep them as is and just clean the barrel up a bit. I really dig the patina on it. Will most likely use some artificial cedar around him since that’s where he came out of when he first appeared 

7 minutes ago, the truth said:

I will definitely prep the barrel. Gonna use some rust stop stuff on the bands to keep them as is and just clean the barrel up a bit. I really dig the patina on it. Will most likely use some artificial cedar around him since that’s where he came out of when he first appeared 

Sounds good

I have one and was happy to do the work myself (other than the mount - John Noon did that part). 

For starters, I love the mears PD-74 form... Very majestic look. Especially when your taxi gets some good neck wrinkle in there. 

2nd- since the buck I shot spent most of his life hiding in thick cedars, I ordered a red cedar pedestal from "The Taxidermy Woodshop".

3rd - I have large supply of dead cedar trees so cut my "base" from one.   Cedar pedestal, cedar base. 

Finally, ordered some fake fern and small cedar trees from McKenzie, and fake oak leaves and fake moss off amazon. 

I have not glued anything, can always change it up. 

Screwed the cedar post from bottom of pedestal lid.  

I laid the moss on the top of pedestal, drilled holes for the ferns and cedars, and positioned accordingly.

The brass mounting receiver is set into the cedar post, snug enough that it won't come out but I can also turn the mount with ease.

Very happy the way it came out!

OK this "might" be the LAST time I post this buck on internet! 

PD-74 Mears form.jpg

IMG_3245 (2)_LI.jpg

DHCD9920.JPG

AEEX7151.JPG

UJTX9588.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

I do love the idea of whiskey barrel, stay with that it will look great.   Finished barrel or unfinished, either way...

What form did you choose for the mount?  Lets see the buck?

I have to think about what looks great on a barrel, will help you out with some internet research (love this ###t). 

Good luck!

Nothing spooks deer more than my stank… 

16 3/4” Live Fluke Release Club

I shot a big 10pt once….

3 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

I have one and was happy to do the work myself (other than the mount - John Noon did that part). 

For starters, I love the mears PD-74 form... Very majestic look. Especially when your taxi gets some good neck wrinkle in there. 

2nd- since the buck I shot spent most of his life hiding in thick cedars, I ordered a red cedar pedestal from "The Taxidermy Woodshop".

3rd - I have large supply of dead cedar trees so cut my "base" from one.   Cedar pedestal, cedar base. 

Finally, ordered some fake fern and small cedar trees from McKenzie, and fake oak leaves and fake moss off amazon. 

I have not glued anything, can always change it up. 

Screwed the cedar post from bottom of pedestal lid.  

I laid the moss on the top of pedestal, drilled holes for the ferns and cedars, and positioned accordingly.

The brass mounting receiver is set into the cedar post, snug enough that it won't come out but I can also turn the mount with ease.

Very happy the way it came out!

OK this "might" be the LAST time I post this buck on internet! 

PD-74 Mears form.jpg

IMG_3245 (2)_LI.jpg

DHCD9920.JPG

AEEX7151.JPG

UJTX9588.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2560.JPG

IMG_2559.JPG

That’s a gangster buck man. Came out great. I like that form too. My deer has a drop tine off the right base I wanna show off so I’m going with something Left turn for sure.

1 minute ago, JHbowhunter said:

I do love the idea of whiskey barrel, stay with that it will look great.   Finished barrel or unfinished, either way...

What form did you choose for the mount?  Lets see the buck?

I have to think about what looks great on a barrel, will help you out with some internet research (love this ###t). 

Good luck!

That’s what I’m currently working on I haven’t made up my mind on the form. I like the Mackenzie 6900 but I want a little bit more turn. Here is the buck on his feet right at the cedars he came out of 

72CF89A7-4558-4611-8330-8525630D833E.jpeg