IGNORED

Making maple syrup

Did it a few years back.  A lot of work for not a lot of product.  Anyone ever do it?  Figured this year would be good to give it a shot again since I finally got an outdoor power burner. Any tips / tricks or general comments anyone would like to add?

I boil about 75 gallons of sap every year. Typical yield is about 50:1 or 60:1. Alot of work for a little product. I boil outside on the fire pit and finish inside. You definitely need the syrup hydrometer to ensure syrup consistency and not water or maple hard candy. 

I tried it last year for the first time. It was fun and very satisfying.  The syrup was delicious.  But it’s a lot of work for little product; 40 units of sap boils down to 1 unit of syrup.  I boiled mine outside for several hours and went through a tank of propane. 

My uncle does it every year in PA every Sunday in March we would be at the barn.  Grab the buckets from the trees and start the boil.  He has a nice setup he McGivered together.  It’s a huge vat with a steel drum that he uses for the heat source which he fires with wood from the property.  He would get it almost all the way then finish the refining at home.  It’s a long day but we would start early drink lots of beer fish as it’s right on the Susquehanna, shoot guns and wave at the conductor as he’s come by on the train twice each Sunday.  Maybe even put penny’s on the track to get flattened out!

Did it every year until I thought my idea of using large shallow pans over a fire would be quicker and cheaper.  I did not realize that the smoke rolling over the sides of the pans would add a harsh smoke flavor to the syrup, which I ended up tossing - lots of work for nothing.  If your going to evaporate with a wood fire, use  tall-sided pots.

Another time I brought two large pots in the house to finish on the stove.  Made so much steam that wallpaper in bathroom peeled off the wall.  Back when wallpaper was a thing.........