IGNORED

Found Dog Flatbrook

HOUNDS ARE NEVER LOST, THE OWNERS ARE. THEY ALWAYS COME BACK GIVEN SOME TIME.I WOULD BE UPSET IF SOMEONE PICKED UP MY HOUND.  AND WAS HIT BY A CAR SOFTLY ONLY A WOMAN WOULD SAY THAT!

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

• 3 weeks later...

Do guys who run dogs like these typically include contact info on the dog tags? Couple years ago I was at my boys soccer practice and an old timer pulled up and asked if I had seen his beagle. He had been hunting in Lafayette and he was looking in Andover. Said it happens all the time and the dog would show up. Kinda crazy. 
  Any how. Good luck to the dog finding it’s owner or a new home. Please keep us posted. 

PEOPLE NEED TO HOUNDS ALONE, THEY ARE NOT LOST AND ALWAYS GO BACK TO SPOT WHERE OWNER WAS.!!  Stop the feel good crap and leave them alone. The dog in this picture is an older dog who would be smart enough to find his way back if left alone.

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

23 minutes ago, bushden said:

PEOPLE NEED TO HOUNDS ALONE, THEY ARE NOT LOST AND ALWAYS GO BACK TO SPOT WHERE OWNER WAS.!!  Stop the feel good crap and leave them alone. The dog in this picture is an older dog who would be smart enough to find his way back if left alone.

being hit by the car indicates to me the dog was out of his element. 
what if he was dumped? You still let him be, he will find his way back?
I think it is a sensible thing to grab the dog hit by a car and help him find his owner or a new home. 

Edited by Lunatic

34 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

being hit by the car indicates to me the dog was out of his element. 
what if he was dumped? You still let him be, he will find his way back?
I think it is a sensible thing to grab the dog hit by a car and help him find his owner or a new home. 

I would agree if the dog was injured most definitely pick it up and bring it to the vet but the SOFTLY hit makes me suspect that that dog was fine and "softly hit" was the unwarranted justification to pick it up.  Hounds are a unique breed of tracker, My grandfather, father and I all had hounds. Most hound guys will tell you the same PLEASE LEAVE OUR DOGS ALONE. The owners know how to retrieve them and its fairly routine to leave a dog or even a pack out over night that just went to far for you to keep up. The dog in the picture looks healthy so the abandonment while possible seems unlikely, and the soft hit does not appear to have affected it.  I hope that pretty looking old hound get back to her owner.

HONOR THE FALLEN

4 hours ago, Foggy Mountain said:

The answer is yes. Most guys have collars with contact info. They also commonly run tracking collars on them too. Often they’re marked as well. 
An old school tactic was leaving a jacket in the woods. In the morning the dog would be sleeping on it. Nowadays though too many roads to risk time out walking alone. Myself I’ve used track collars since the 90s. They were the old tic tic type. They weren’t exact but pretty darn close. Now the gps ones are easy and accurate. If the guy drove around constantly figured his time, gas, any potential medical bills got the dog and the “all the time” frequency, sounds like a collar would be worthwhile and it is

I spent a lot of hours over the years waiting and looking for hounds who took off just before dark. I wish I had a GPS collar back then, now I have a cell with GPS  tracking so that wife can find me if I do not come home from hunting.

Edited by bushden
grammer & spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN