IGNORED

set a small rat/mink line today

Kype

i have been pretty much out of the trapping game for a few years now. i use to run multiple lines on multiple properties a year. but when life comes calling, some things come first. anyway, last year i bought a house on the musky, from my deck i can see mink running the bank for love and see rats swimming. also have a resident beaver but i have no permits. today i finally set a very small line of 110 conis. didnt find any bank dens but made a few blind sets and around bridges. we will see in the morning. not expecting much as the traps only have an overnight soak. you never know with trapping. should be a good night for critters to be running around. nice and calm out. my fleshing board is getting hungry. 

16 minutes ago, Tuck said:

Any luck??

Jeeze he works hard all week.something's more more important on Sunday he may still be cuddling give him a chance to get his pants back on.lol

“In a civilized and cultivated country, wild animals only continue to exist at all when preserved by sportsmen.” -Theodore Roosevelt

Trap lines sure bring back a lot of memories for me. When I was a young lad my brother and I had quite an enterprise going . At any given time we had close to a hundred traps. We would get up at 3 AM before school and check the traps and start skinning right after school . We had to work out our territories with other trappers and be ready to defend those areas. It was a different world back then, something I wouldn't trade for anything.

Good luck with your line!

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

47 minutes ago, FLDBRED-BDC said:

Trap lines sure bring back a lot of memories for me. When I was a young lad my brother and I had quite an enterprise going . At any given time we had close to a hundred traps. We would get up at 3 AM before school and check the traps and start skinning right after school . We had to work out our territories with other trappers and be ready to defend those areas. It was a different world back then, something I wouldn't trade for anything.

Good luck with your line!

Apparently it was different in Bergen County where I grew up in the 1960's. You had to set right after dark and pull traps 12 hours later in the pre-dawn hours or the traps would not be there the next day!

8 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

Apparently it was different in Bergen County where I grew up in the 1960's. You had to set right after dark and pull traps 12 hours later in the pre-dawn hours or the traps would not be there the next day!

We had our share of that, I remember getting in fist fights with kids much older than me . But our areas were sacred to us and over time people respected our lines.

Pennsylvania Upland Hunting

9 minutes ago, trapoholic said:

I can also remember back in 1973 when I got my drivers license and bought my first car. A VW Beatle. The previous spring my trapping buddy moved to upstate NY and took all of our traps. So I went out and bought 24 brand new Victor #110's and decided to try and trap the tidal waters of the Hackensack Meadowlands. I had read in all of the trapping books that you have mark all of your traps with a long stake with orange flagging on top or you will never find them. In one afternoon I set out all 24 traps and could not sleep that night dreaming about a nice catch of muskrats! The next morning I went out to check my line to find that 22 of the 24 brand new traps had been stolen! I pulled the two remaining traps and went home visably upset. But, I am not a quitter! After a few days I ordered five dozen more and set them more secretly and I never had another problem with mass theft. Sure, I lose a trap or two every year to theft. But, I do not let it bother me. It is just part of it.