Stihl and Husquavarna both make great saws, do yourself a favor and use one of the canned fuels (tru fuel, Husquavarna and red max are just a few) they last 4 years in the can and 2 years in your machine, the extra cost for them is well worth it when they start when you need them and you don't have to spend money on carburetor.

i have a stihl ms391 and a husk450. both are great saws. but you mentioned you wont need yours to process firewood? in that case i would just go to your local big box store and pick up something cheap. no neesd

to spend alot of money if your only trimming branches. if you were cutting a lot of firewood every year, then yes buy a stihl. farm boss is good or go alittle bigger for the bigger logs. i used my husk 450 for a long time until i needed a bigger saw so i bought the ms391. 64cc. eat logs in no time . IMO no need to go bigger or less your in the tree service. 

KIMG1707.thumb.JPG.d33771b5a6f0681cd0acfd32a359fc27.JPG

Stihl 100%
I bought the largest homeowner model which was a wood boss.. (just below the farm boss)
Done a ton of cutting with it and don't see a point in going much more expensive for only 10-20 days a year on small trees.
If you were doing like trees sure go bigger
16-18" is plenty of blade

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Stihl make great saws no denying but for what you’re explaining get a Husqvarna 16”or 18” , use the premix canned gas and you should have a trouble free saw for all your needs. Buy a few chains and keep it outta the dirt. I have both but remember they are only as good as your maintenance. 

GOOD LUCK 👍

Edited by Nanuk

Here's an idea:

When Jay has his Man Stuff / Woodcutting party in March everyone bring their different saws and guys can check them out to see what best suites their needs.  :D  

WHAT'S THE DATE JAY????   And I don't wanna hear nothing about the baby, this is one tradition that can't die!!  

Edited by Rusty

Nothing less than a Stihl 660 lol just kidding. My brother who used to work in the tree industry will only run a Stihl. However, since I don’t use mine all that much, I run a Husqvarna 455 (price). I’ve had it for years without any issues. I run a 20 inch bar on it but also have a 24 inch bar for it. It’s funny if you go out west where I have family and they have big trees they laugh at our small bars lol. Nothing wrong with running a longer bar if your saw can handle it. Just a few things I would recommend, get an extra chain so you can rotate them between sharpenings. Run only non-ethanol fuel in them. Can be purchased in the can at the store. While many people don’t have them, I have a pair of chaps I usually wear. Rotate your bar between chain swaps. Then learn the does and donts of running saws. I’m sure there’s a YouTube video out there you can watch. I’ve seen plenty of people with chainsaw accidents over the years. 

14 hours ago, GilV said:

Before you spend money on a saw invest in a good set of chaps and safety helmet. Also watch some safety videos on Youtube.  Accidents happen, accidents with a chainsaw can be your last.

I am very experienced cutting down trees and once hit my thigh with a Stihl 460 running full blast. I had chaps on and they stopped the saw immediately and the saw did not penetrate. I was alone in the woods and without chaps I would have been dead.

Thanks for reminding me to get a pair.  Last year, put some holes in a pair of jeans and scratched my shin - could have been worse...  First time in 40 years of running chain saws....   Just ordered a pair on Amazon.