IGNORED

Uncocking a recurve crossbow

joeyguts

I walk out my back door about 100 yards to my treestand. I cock my recurve crossbow at the base of the treestand and if I don't get a shot (which happens often) I walk back to the house with the crossbow cocked AND no bolt on the rails. All bolts are in the quiver. Once back at the house I shoot a bolt into my foam target.

Questions:

Do I have to uncock the crossbow at the base of the stand before walking back home?

If I'm legal walking back to my house from my treestand with the crossbow cocked and no bolt on the rails can I just leave it cocked for my next day's hunt? Or would this damage the limbs?

I cock my Excalibur before walking in (the dark) and uncock it when I get back to the truck (in the dark).  I don't put a bolt in until start of legal time and take it out at end of legal time. 

You could leave it cocked but I wouldn't, it's easy enough to just let it down and not keep the stress on the limbs for any longer than they already are during hunts  

1 hour ago, beaverman said:

As long as you don't put it in a vehicle to get back to the house it can stay cocked.  It has to be uncocked to be transported in a vehicle

Are you sure? Not that I would ride around with a cocked crossbow but I believe if there is no bolt the cocked bow is legat to transport or to walk out of the woods with after shooting time. Its

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Are you sure? Not that I would ride around with a cocked crossbow but I believe if there is no bolt the cocked bow is legat to transport or to walk out of the woods with after shooting time. Its

The compendium confirms you can’t  have a cocked crossbow in your vehicle. It only mentions driving but nothing about walking through the woods.

So I think I am good walking but I am not sure if leaving it cocked for a couple of days will damage the limbs.

Thank you to all who responded.

1 minute ago, joeyguts said:

The compendium confirms you can’t  have a cocked crossbow in your vehicle. It only mentions driving but nothing about walking through the woods.

So I think I am good walking but I am not sure if leaving it cocked for a couple of days will damage the limbs.

Thank you to all who responded.

If it's a Excalibur, you can leave it cocked forever. LOL Only kidding. I would discharge the bow after every hunt. 

1 hour ago, Lunatic said:

Page 20 of the Digest

pg 20a.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I carry a discharge bag in the truck always when bow hunting, even if it were legal (which it is not)I would discharge the crossbow before transporting just to take pressure off the limbs.

xyz1.jpg

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL