IGNORED

If anyone is looking for a kitchen knife...

not on the rug

I bought this Seisuke VG10 Damascus western handled santoku for my wife about 6 months ago because most of my knives are Wa (Japanese) style handle and she really prefers a western handle.  

I'll say that for under $150, this thing is killer. Out of the box, the fit and finish is extremely nice and I'd give it a 7/10 on the factory blade sharpness.  I used it a couple times and then broke out the whetstones and put a serious edge on it.  She loves using it and I'm happy with the purchase.   

I usually buy from a few other sites, but this was my first time buying from Japanny.com.  I'm impressed with their service and the delivery. They ship via DHL and the knife arrived from Japan in less than 48 hours.  

Anyway, if you're looking for a decently priced, durable do-it-all kind of knife, I give this one my stamp of approval.   It's not the fanciest knife I own, but it's definitely one I'm happy to have in the drawer.

https://www.japanny.com/collections/santoku-all-purpose-knives/products/seisuke-vg10-33-layer-damascus-hammered-santoku-japanese-chef-knife-180mm

20210108_194405.jpg

Edited by not on the rug

• not on the rug changed the title to If anyone is looking for a kitchen knife...

Nice one Rug!

One of my favorites is one I found while re-doing the kitchen in my first house 25 yrs ago. Found this 10.5" Old Homestead knife made in Japan under a dishwasher. Previous idiot must have pounded nails with it because I still have 2 small indents but it's one of my favorite knifes in the drawer.

20210108_195249.jpg

55 minutes ago, Gunsmoke said:

The knife looks better in your picture than on the site.  Regardless it's out of stock.  Cool looking knife.

Here it is with a mahogany handle and saya.  Pretty nice deal.

https://www.japanny.com/collections/seisuke/products/seisuke-vg10-33-layer-damascus-santoku-japanese-knife-180mm-with-mahogany-handle-with-saya

1 hour ago, not on the rug said:

Do you prefer a western handle or Wa handle?  What size?  Do you prefer stainless or carbon?  How much $ do you want to spend?  I can point you in the right direction

to be honest im not sure. i do all the cooking in my house. the chefs knife i use now is a POS from big box store. i would like a quality knife that i can hang on a magnet. ill take any suggestions you have. do you prefer carbon over stainless? 

carbon would be easier to sharpen. stainless would last longer. its one of those things where you dont know where to begin. 

a nice wood handle would be nice too. 

4 minutes ago, Kype said:

to be honest im not sure. i do all the cooking in my house. the chefs knife i use now is a POS from big box store. i would like a quality knife that i can hang on a magnet. ill take any suggestions you have. do you prefer carbon over stainless? 

carbon would be easier to sharpen. stainless would last longer. its one of those things where you dont know where to begin. 

a nice wood handle would be nice too. 

I typically prefer carbon steel over stainless because I feel like most are a little easier to sharpen.  My carbon steel knives I strop on horsehide every few uses and give a full sharpen whenever they need it.  They are just a little higher maintenance.  Stainless is good to beat up a little more.  The carbon knives will chip a little easier,  so I don't hack at frozen shit with them of go anywhere near bones.  I also prefer Japanese Wa style handles because I like a pinch grip instead of just holding a handle.  Most folks would do quite well with a western handle and stainless blade, somewhere between 9-10".  Let me find a few different ones in a few different price points that might work for you.  I'll post the links below.

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kapsgy24.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/kovgdagy24.html

https://www.chefknivestogo.com/todpchkn24.html

Get a carbon knife over a stainless.  Professional chef knives are all carbon.  It will hold an edge and you don't have to sharpen it as often.  Always use a steel on it until it loses its edge.  Then sharpen.  Sharpening knives takes steel away from the knife.  Using a steel will keep the edge longer and make the knife last longer.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

7 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Get a carbon knife over a stainless.  Professional chef knives are all carbon.  It will hold an edge and you don't have to sharpen it as often.  Always use a steel on it until it loses its edge.  Then sharpen.  Sharpening knives takes steel away from the knife.  Using a steel will keep the edge longer and make the knife last longer.

Sort of...I personally have mostly carbon knives (aside from the knife I'm talking about in this thread and my 1 favorite paring knife) and they require upkeep for sure.  

I'm impressed with the charactetistics of VG10 and I think it makes a great daily driver for most folks.  A little more difficult to sharpen than my carbon, but retains an edge nicely and you don't have to worry about rust or corrosion.

I'd say to never use a steel on any knife...maybe if you're using softer German steel, but absolutely never on Japanese steel.  Strop it regularly on horsehide or even cowhide and sharpen with a progressive series of whetstones instead.  Only use them on wooden cuttinf boards too...no plastic and no bamboo.  The average person will only probably have to truly sharpen maybe 2-3 times per year if they're doing everything else correctly

Edited by not on the rug