2nd yr of no Rockport Rockets...my late season central spots, zilcho...any Northern holdovers?

No....this is not another ungodly MALE PHEASANT post!!!  Lol

My setter and I usually thoroughly enjoy working hard for wary, late season holdover pheasants in January n February near central jersey WMAs...

but going on 2 yrs...I miss the Rockport Rockets, which were known for flying like rockets, and the newly purchased birds are not in the late season spots the Rockets had been in for the past 15 yrs. 

maybe it’s ironic but it may be a matter that the Rockport Rockets were a superior farm raised pheasant with higher nets that allowed them to stretch their wings!?!?

I got a few more spots to try but I don’t have much confidence of what I’m seeing....so far only evidence of 1 dead hen    

any northern reports of late season holdovers!!??  If the right cover is there..smart birds should holdover. We will make the trip!!

SOOO  .... WAS THAT A ROCKHARD ROCKET FLYING AROUND YOUR BARN..

SORRY TO TELL YOU FROM NOW ON YOU WILL ALWAYS BE KNOWN AS THE GUY WHO SHOWED HIS "TOY" TO HIS HUNTING BUDDIES  LOL

I DO HAVE ONE QUESTION .. AS THE SEASONS CHANGE WILL WE BE TREATED TO OTHER THEMES ... LETS SAY YOUR LITTLE BUDDY WEARING SHARK FINS  IN YOUR HOT TUB ??

You really can't make many judgements about holdovers in a year like this where participation in outdoor pursuits is through the roof numbers wise.  All our stocked pheasants and trout took a pounding as many more hunters and anglers went into the field rather than other things like BBQs, ball games, concerts, etc.  It's going to take at least another full year to reach a new "normal".  That said, I was never impressed with a stocked pheasant in any state, including the so-called Rockport Rockets.  I got spoiled living in the Midwest and hunting wild birds in Iowa and South Dakota.  It's like comparing a tractor trailer to a Ferrari.  

3 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

You really can't make many judgements about holdovers in a year like this where participation in outdoor pursuits is through the roof numbers wise.  All our stocked pheasants and trout took a pounding as many more hunters and anglers went into the field rather than other things like BBQs, ball games, concerts, etc.  It's going to take at least another full year to reach a new "normal".  That said, I was never impressed with a stocked pheasant in any state, including the so-called Rockport Rockets.  I got spoiled living in the Midwest and hunting wild birds in Iowa and South Dakota.  It's like comparing a tractor trailer to a Ferrari.  

Gotchya!

but just going on 2 years of observation n experience compared to 15 yrs of huntin same grounds

there is certainly no comparison between wild pheasants n farm raised pheasants...but a few farm raised ones have made it all the way through to my spring turkey spots in years past....only difference now is these birds are not from Rockport 

Northern flatbook wma guys mite have more intel on it as they seem to hold over good up there

I agree with Bonefreak. I have been hunting the Central Region WMAs for many years. I currently have a good GSP. Prior to the last couple of years I always found a few birds in January. The last couple of years I have found none. The areas I found birds in the past had good holding cover. Those areas continued to have the same good cover. I was out twice this week in those same good areas. All I found was one dead bird laying in the open. No signs that it was killed by a predator. The weather has not been that harsh the last couple years. Something is definitely different the last couple years. Actually I think it has more to due with the new allocation plan that was put into effect 3 years ago. Even though the Central Region has been receiving more birds, I have found the birds are not present in the same numbers in the same areas of the WMAs as they where  prior to the new allocation plan. I think the method of releasing birds has changed significantly.