IGNORED

Are compound crossbows easier to draw back than recurves?

This may be a dumb question, and I know for vertical bows it holds true, but are compound crossbows easier to draw back than recurves? Bought my son a “brand new” never used Excalibur Axiom for his 10th birthday. We were shooting it for the first time last night and he was not able to get it cocked back by himself. He’s obviously going to need to be able to do this to take his field course for his archery license. I’m not sure what to do, whether I should try and trade it for a compound, or maybe we can hit the weight room with some deadlifts and seated rows and get his muscles up (just kidding obviously). Anyone else run into this? This is the first crossbow I’ve ever used I have no experience in the game, I’ve always used a vertical bow

37 minutes ago, the truth said:

I’m not sure what to do, whether I should try and trade it for a compound, or maybe we can hit the weight room with some deadlifts and seated rows and get his muscles up (just kidding obviously). 

My two girls trained for 2 years up to their 10th birthdays, so they had the strength to pull back a 35 pound compound bow for the test.  If they couldn't do it they couldn't hunt.   I think training is a good idea.  Be an accomplishment for him.

Edited by Nomad

Take him to a decently stocked shop and see what they have. Some are easier to cock than others. Even if you don’t buy you can do some in person research. I might also suggest that along with the crossbow get him a starter recurve or longbow. He will have a blast with that. 

According to Bork holder archery .

‘their ext crank can be retrofitted to all their models .

says a call to Excalibur will let you know what is the best attachment method for each xbow they have made 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

1 minute ago, hammer4reel said:

According to Bork holder archery .

‘their ext crank can be retrofitted to all their models .

says a call to Excalibur will let you know what is the best attachment method for each xbow they have made 

I’ll have to contact them and see what’s available. Worst case I have a buddy I can borrow his crossbow for the test. Gonna get him into a vertical bow, but this will at least get his license and get him started 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

My two girls trained for 2 years up to their 10th birthdays, so they had the strength to pull back a 35 pound compound bow for the test.  If they couldn't do it they couldn't hunt.   I think training is a good idea.  Be an accomplishment for him.

I couldn't agree more.  I started my son at 18 pounds and practiced several times a week.  By the time he took the test he was pulling back 40.  I was proud of him when he passed his test but more proud when he harvested a deer with his bow at age 10.

You will be surprised how quickly they move up in draw weight with the compound.  He struggled to get past 30 but the other draw weights went fast.

3 hours ago, toxo said:

Look at the butt of the crossbow.If it has a small indentation hole it will accept Excalibur's portable C 2 crank. It slips in the hole and you tighten it to the stock.I have one you can use if your in Taylor Ham country.

Thanks toxo! I did contact Excalibur and they said the same thing. Gonna check the stock when I get home from work. I appreciate your offer but I’m allll the way down in depths of the pork roll south lol

Just now, the truth said:

Thanks toxo! I did contact Excalibur and they said the same thing. Gonna check the stock when I get home from work. I appreciate your offer but I’m allll the way down in depths of the pork roll south lol

Go to you tube , search crank handle for your crossbow , bunch good videos there as well as some Safty videos by Bork holder from issues they had and how to resolve them so they don’t happen 

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/