27 minutes ago, XtremeHunter said:

You only use gunzilla to clean ML and you’ve had no problems? Interesting might be worth a try for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never used anything else from the day I bought it and I use my ML more than most. The more you use the product the easier it is to clean your gun because it seasons/coats and therefore protects your barrel 

Edited by Lunatic
24 minutes ago, XtremeHunter said:

You only use gunzilla to clean ML and you’ve had no problems? Interesting might be worth a try for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Real Blackpowder needs only soap and water cleanup, not petroleum based products. Gunzilla is synthetic based. I use it on all my guns. It's a great all purpose cleaner, lubricant, and preservative. Expensive too. 

2 hours ago, midwestxpress said:

Guys just a heads up. I forgot I had left my muzzleloader loaded. The next season I pushed the bullet out only to find the powder pitted up my barrel where the powder charge was. This was with black powder so be careful. Gun still shoots good but that really pissed me off.

Thats what usually happens

Muzzleloading can be a dangerous undertaking. Keeping track of loading, cleaning, snapping caps can get confusing. You can easily lose track of what you did last. After a long period of inactivity during the season, I once snapped a cap to be surprised that the gun was already loaded. I cleaned, snapped a cap, and reloaded the gun before that.  Always snap a cap in a safe place and pointing in a safe direction. 

Lots of stuff could go wrong. Loading the bullet backwards is another one that comes to mind.

All I can say is, CHECK and DOUBLE CHECK everything when handling a M/L. 

Edited by archer36
1 hour ago, XtremeHunter said:

Seems like the best way to prevent from happening again.

The best way to prevent it from happening again is to start with a fresh load everyday. Way to many variables for me to risk a shot of a lifetime that I am still waiting to present itself.

In all honesty,,, why would you not unload and start fresh??

To much pain in the arse? Then you may want to rethink your sport.

Don't want to waste the round? What are you talking, a dollar or two tops?

My ritual is to unload and clean every night after the hunt. Run some patches with clp or remoil, run dry patches to get excess oil out, wipe rest of gun down and stand in corner/gun cabinet til next trip. To say its a pain/to much fuss to clean is someone who I assume never hunting with the old side percussions.  With removable breach plugs its a 10 minute job.

The morning of I will run a dry patch down barrel, toss patch put on another fresh patch, seat against breech and fire a cap/209 off. With having a patch on your jag seated home you will do two things, one you will know the nipple is clear by the big burned hole in the patch, the second thing it'll do for you is catch any oil/debris that may have settled into the nipple into the patch. From there I load my shot so I don't have to do it next to the truck in the dark.

For the "muzzy's shoot differently clean vs dirty" crowd, I sight my muzzy in with a clean barrel. Very easy to do with modern propellents to clean between shots. Then replicate my morning ritual at the range before each shot.

6 minutes ago, Greg said:

The best way to prevent it from happening again is to start with a fresh load everyday. Way to many variables for me to risk a shot of a lifetime that I am still waiting to present itself.

In all honesty,,, why would you not unload and start fresh??

To much pain in the arse? Then you may want to rethink your sport.

Don't want to waste the round? What are you talking, a dollar or two tops?

My ritual is to unload and clean every night after the hunt. Run some patches with clp or remoil, run dry patches to get excess oil out, wipe rest of gun down and stand in corner/gun cabinet til next trip. To say its a pain/to much fuss to clean is someone who I assume never hunting with the old side percussions.  With removable breach plugs its a 10 minute job.

The morning of I will run a dry patch down barrel, toss patch put on another fresh patch, seat against breech and fire a cap/209 off. With having a patch on your jag seated home you will do two things, one you will know the nipple is clear by the big burned hole in the patch, the second thing it'll do for you is catch any oil/debris that may have settled into the nipple into the patch. From there I load my shot so I don't have to do it next to the truck in the dark.

For the "muzzy's shoot differently clean vs dirty" crowd, I sight my muzzy in with a clean barrel. Very easy to do with modern propellents to clean between shots. Then replicate my morning ritual at the range before each shot.

When I hunted with a precussion and round ball and patch i did unload each hunt.  Now with new powders bullets and inlines it is unnecessary as long as you clean store and store accordingly 

2 minutes ago, Mountain Goat said:

I only had one miss-fire with my mzl about 15 years ago.  Aimed at a doe and click....forgot to put a primer in....haha!  Hunted all day like that...thank goodness it was not a nice buck!!

On first goose hunt this year I had a bunch of mistakes. First chance I never turned the red eye on so I shot blind, of course missing. It was a pump so and I never reloaded, being distracted by the red eye. Naturally next chance the red eye was on but the gun was not loaded. On a final attempt I turn the sight on, I loaded the gun but I did not remember to take the safety off. I went home laughing and empty handed.

28 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

When I hunted with a precussion and round ball and patch i did unload each hunt.  Now with new powders bullets and inlines it is unnecessary as long as you clean store and store accordingly 

Agree and not because I read about it. I practice it and never once I had a problem shooting my inline for 8 years now.

2 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Black powder is not  corrosive. Black powder is hygroscopic which means it attracts and retains moisture but only after it burns. Its the moisture in your barrel, not the black powder causing problems with corrosion. Black powder fouling in relatively dry environment has no ability to harm your rifle.

I think the corrosive ability of BL is overblown and people are going nuts for no reason. Some of you would have a heart attack if you knew how and when I clean my ML and it wokres as it did day one, only it is more accurate now. I never clean the gun the day I fire it, it is usually next or the following day. I once left it dirty for 10 months. I clean my ML in 5 minutes with one single product, Gunzzila..... and soap/water for breach plug.

Sounds like you been reading the highroad forum a good place for info.  If you are using PYRODEX it produces an acid based corrosion that can cause issues. Bottom line is if you keep the gun clean you will never have an issue with miss fires unless you have a defective firing pin.

1 minute ago, bushden said:

Sounds like you been reading the highroad forum a good place for info.  If you are using PYRODEX it produces an acid based corrosion that can cause issues. Bottom line is if you keep the gun clean you will never have an issue with miss fires unless you have a defective firing pin.

I’m using pyrodex. 
I pay special attention to one thing on my ML. I make sure the opening on my breach plug is open and wide. Never had any issues doing all the other things some say will cause problems. Everyone has to find the way to be comfortable, my way of less is more definitely works for me and makes the experience more enjoyable. If I had to do what some do with their ML’s in terms of cleaning and cleaning and loading and reloading, I would never use the gun

4 hours ago, tcook8296 said:

Tell that to someone with an

H &R

My 12ga SB1 went click a few times in very cold windy weather at a trap range like 4 or 5 years ago. I bought it used Jan 2010. Killed a few squirrels with it,lots of paper and clays.