IGNORED

ML Misfire tonight

XtremeHunter

Just now, XtremeHunter said:

I think moving forward if I have a load in and don’t discharge it I will store in the garage where the temperature isn’t as warm as inside of the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once my guns are exposed to extreme cold they stay in a "cold" environment. Either in the truck or in the garage. They only come in the house to get cleaned or put away. 

😒🙁😮 that stinks,hopefully you get another chance at 1. I think the longest i left mine loaded was 11 months. I put a note on it so i remember when it's in the cabinet. Shockingly i've been out in snow with it,brought it home wiped it dry and put it back into cabinet. I rarely have it slung over my shoulder and try to keep the muzzle slightly down except i store it muzzle up. i double check to make the bullet is still seated before i prime it and walk away from parking spot. I use a fresh cap and those little red sleeves that help hold it on and keep out moisture. Luckily never had a hang or mis fire doing this. Cabinet is on main floor of house and there is a heat/cool supply vent in the closet a few feet away. Doesn't mean i can't get condensation from going outside for a day then back inside for a few days to a week. 

9 minutes ago, midwestxpress said:

Guys just a heads up. I forgot I had left my muzzleloader loaded. The next season I pushed the bullet out only to find the powder pitted up my barrel where the powder charge was. This was with black powder so be careful. Gun still shoots good but that really pissed me off.

Black powder is extremely corrosive, I am not surprised. A lot of people use black powder substitutes as they are less corrosive. I’ve had even the substitutes do the same though. This is one of the reasons I either shoot my muzzleloader or unload it after every trip in the field. 

2 hours ago, Screaminta said:

Im assuming this is a break open muzzleloader. If so, I always verify I can see through the breech plug down the barrel before loading and powder/pellets. 
Also, as other have said, I am OCD about cleaning. I clean the barrel/breech plug after every shot. I store with some “preservative” but before going hunting I clean it all with alcohol, then dry patches. Before loading I fire 1-2 primers to “dirty” the barrel and then verify it’s all clear through the breech plug, then load. 

I’m tired just reading it!! Is it still fun for you or does it feel like it reads, a major PIA? 

If the primer fired, it could still be a clogged breech plug. 

Keep in mind if you sight in with a fouled barrel and or warm barrel your 1st shot out of a cold clean barrel can be off by quite a bit. 

Also the first time you pull it out for the season, assume its loaded and fire cap to make sure. Marking the ram rod is a good idea also

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

1 hour ago, Jcol6268 said:

Black powder is extremely corrosive, I am not surprised. A lot of people use black powder substitutes as they are less corrosive. I’ve had even the substitutes do the same though. This is one of the reasons I either shoot my muzzleloader or unload it after every trip in the field. 

Black powder is not  corrosive. Black powder is hygroscopic which means it attracts and retains moisture but only after it burns. Its the moisture in your barrel, not the black powder causing problems with corrosion. Black powder fouling in relatively dry environment has no ability to harm your rifle.

I think the corrosive ability of BL is overblown and people are going nuts for no reason. Some of you would have a heart attack if you knew how and when I clean my ML and it wokres as it did day one, only it is more accurate now. I never clean the gun the day I fire it, it is usually next or the following day. I once left it dirty for 10 months. I clean my ML in 5 minutes with one single product, Gunzzila..... and soap/water for breach plug.

Edited by Lunatic

Once my guns are exposed to extreme cold they stay in a "cold" environment. Either in the truck or in the garage. They only come in the house to get cleaned or put away. 

That’s what I am going to do moving forward. Seems like the best way to prevent from happening again.

If the primer fired, it could still be a clogged breech plug. 
Keep in mind if you sight in with a fouled barrel and or warm barrel your 1st shot out of a cold clean barrel can be off by quite a bit. 
Also the first time you pull it out for the season, assume its loaded and fire cap to make sure. Marking the ram rod is a good idea also

The breech plug wasn’t clogged as before I had put a new load in I cleaned it and made sure. I have had my ramrod marked to ensure the bullet is seated all the way at bottom.

11 minutes ago, XtremeHunter said:

That’s what I am going to do moving forward. Seems like the best way to prevent from happening again.

It is rapid change in temp you should worry about. If you keep your gun in a soft case you transport the gun in, it will act as an insulator preventing rapid change in temperature.

It is rapid change in temp you should worry about. If you keep your gun in a soft case you transport the gun in, it will act as an insulator preventing rapid change in temperature.

I’ve been putting it in soft case once I get back to the truck and leave it in there even when storing indoors...

Black powder is not  corrosive. Black powder is hygroscopic which means it attracts and retains moisture but only after it burns. Its the moisture in your barrel, not the black powder causing problems with corrosion. Black powder fouling in relatively dry environment has no ability to harm your rifle.
I think the corrosive ability of BL is overblown and people are going nuts for no reason. Some of you would have a heart attack if you knew how and when I clean my ML and it wokres as it did day one, only it is more accurate now. I never clean the gun the day I fire it, it is usually next or the following day. I once left it dirty for 10 months. I clean my ML in 5 minutes with one single product, Gunzzila..... and soap/water for breach plug.

You only use gunzilla to clean ML and you’ve had no problems? Interesting might be worth a try for me.