IGNORED

ML Misfire tonight

XtremeHunter

8 minutes ago, Michael Britt said:

Muzzy newbie here...so for you guys leaving it "loaded" for periods of time...are you traveling to and from hunting with bullet and powder/pellets in but no primer...does that make it technically "unloaded" in eyes of LE?

No primer. It makes it loaded but not primed and that makes it legal to travel with. 

32 minutes ago, XtremeHunter said:

Yes, and I had shot a deer with it already this season... cleaned it and waited to put another load in cause I wasn’t hunting for couple days after it was cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you have it when waiting if barrel up oil could have sat in nipple

The primer didnt fire? Or it fired and no powder ignition. 

Ive left my gun loaded for an entire season and it always goes boom. 

If your gun is empty, you can fire a primer or cap pointed at a leaf on the ground. You should see the leaf move when you fire that will let you know your breech plug is not clogged. 

If the cap or primer goes off but no powder ignites, either the breech plug is clogged or powder got some type of moisture. 

If the primer is not firing. Its your primers or firing pin. 

Most likely your primer

Edited by tcook8296

www.liftxrentals.com

There are many reasons for a miss fire, many on this site will say they leave there gun load for a year and it will still go off. I would tell you this, I will tell you this. The I unload and clean my gun after every trip even if not shot, and always wipe all oils from inside barrel except when put away for the year. I never leave a ML loaded because cold and heat can cause condensation in the barrel. 

Well here are some of the reasons your gun may not have gone off.

1.  You left it loaded - Bringing gun in and out of the cold could cause condensation  in the barrel and wet the powder

2.  Nipple was dirty - Did you clean inside of nipple EVERY TIME  after you used it.

3.  The breech plug was was clogged possible thread grease after you cleaned it. You need to wipe it down before loading when season starts and after cleaning during the season.

4.  The barrel had cleaning fluids, oil, butter, etc from last cleaning in it and was not wiped down before loaded.

5.  If using #11 Primers and it don't fire it could be a bad cap, always look at it before you put it on the nipple and make sure the powder charge in the cap did not fall out sometimes that happens.

6.  If using 209 primers and primer does not go off you probably have a gun firing pin problem that will need guns smith attention, try it again with new 209 and if it works it was a bad primer but this is the least likely scenario of all, it is rare a 209 does not fire if hit by pin properly.

I KNOW ALL THESE STEPS ARE A PIA and many do not follow them and have no problem but why chance missing the shot of a life time for the lack of a little daily care of your gun. You tale  proper care of the gun it will take care of you.

Edited by bushden
SPELLING

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

The primer didnt fire? Or it fired and no powder ignition. 
Ive left my gun loaded for an entire season and it always goes boom. 
If your gun is empty, you can fire a primer or cap pointed at a leaf on the ground. You should see the leaf move when you fire that will let you know your breech plug is not clogged. 
If the cap or primer goes off but no powder ignites, either the breech plug is clogged or powder got some type of moisture. 
If the primer is not firing. Its your primers or firing pin. 
Most likely your primer

Primer did fire, believe it was a issue with powder.

There are many reasons for a miss fire, many on this site will say they leave there gun load for a year and it will still go off. I would tell you this, I will tell you this. The I unload and clean my gun after every trip even if not shot, and always wipe all oils from inside barrel except when put away for the year. I never leave a ML loaded because cold and heat can cause condensation in the barrel. 
Well here are some of the reasons your gun may not have gone off.

1.  You left it loaded - Bringing gun in and out of the cold could cause condensation  in the barrel and wet the powder
2.  Nipple was dirty - Did you clean inside of nipple EVERY TIME  after you used it.
3.  The breech plug was was clogged possible thread grease after you cleaned it. You need to wipe it down before loading when season starts and after cleaning during the season.
4.  The barrel had cleaning fluids, oil, butter, etc from last cleaning in it and was not wiped down before loaded.
5.  If using #11 Primers and it don't fire it could be a bad cap, always look at it before you put it on the nipple and make sure the powder charge in the cap did not fall out sometimes that happens.
6.  If using 209 primers and primer does not go off you probably have a gun firing pin problem that will need guns smith attention, try it again with new 209 and if it works it was a bad primer but this is the least likely scenario of all, it is rare a 209 does not fire if hit by pin properly.
I KNOW ALL THESE STEPS ARE A PIA and many do not follow them and have no problem but why chance missing the shot of a life time for the lack of a little daily car of your gun. You tale  proper care of the gun it will take care of you.

Im assuming this is a break open muzzleloader. If so, I always verify I can see through the breech plug down the barrel before loading and powder/pellets. 
Also, as other have said, I am OCD about cleaning. I clean the barrel/breech plug after every shot. I store with some “preservative” but before going hunting I clean it all with alcohol, then dry patches. Before loading I fire 1-2 primers to “dirty” the barrel and then verify it’s all clear through the breech plug, then load. 

15 minutes ago, Screaminta said:

Im assuming this is a break open muzzleloader. If so, I always verify I can see through the breech plug down the barrel before loading and powder/pellets. 
Also, as other have said, I am OCD about cleaning. I clean the barrel/breech plug after every shot. I store with some “preservative” but before going hunting I clean it all with alcohol, then dry patches. Before loading I fire 1-2 primers to “dirty” the barrel and then verify it’s all clear through the breech plug, then load. 

Yes, it’s a break open inline. It was cleaned prior to loading and I waited a couple days to load it as I wasn’t going hunting for a period. I believe the issue was having it loaded for about 2 weeks and going in and out hunting and then storing gun inside, causing condensation. 

9 minutes ago, XtremeHunter said:

Yes, it’s a break open inline. It was cleaned prior to loading and I waited a couple days to load it as I wasn’t going hunting for a period. I believe the issue was having it loaded for about 2 weeks and going in and out hunting and then storing gun inside, causing condensation. 

Hmm then it could have been condensation. Maybe instead of bringing it inside, you could store it in a garage? 

9 hours ago, XtremeHunter said:

Triple Seven Pellets with Powerbelt Copper plated Aerotip bullets. I have been this entire week, only went hunting twice last week and the load has been there since beginning of last week... I believe from going outside during hunting and then inside storing at room temp condensation may have cause the powder to become duds?

Don't really know what the cause was but it's not a good idea to move your gun in and out of cold and warm environments because of condensation/moisture forming inside barrel. 

Don't really know what the cause was but it's not a good idea to move your gun in and out of cold and warm environments because of condensation/moisture forming inside barrel. 

I think moving forward if I have a load in and don’t discharge it I will store in the garage where the temperature isn’t as warm as inside of the house.