IGNORED

3rd or yearling rut underway?

gregtpal

A couple of nice bucks were recently taken so I'm wondering is it coincidence or is a third rut underway that has them walking around in daylight?

I know the first rut falls in a very specific window in November  for most mature does but not so sure about subsequent ruts with yearlings born a various times.  Or is it possibly like the phenomen with humans where if they spend a lot of time together, they menstruate ate the same time?

From dec 28th right up until last nights post , i have seen more bucks ( not just young ones ) running does non stop. While i was shooting an old beat up 7 pt last night , about a 1/2 mile from me,  another guy in our group grunted in a big 8pt that was chasing 2 does and shot him at 10yds. The smaller bucks have their noses so far up the asses of the does they cant even see where they’re going!

Correct, this is the third estrous cycle hence the third rut.  I live in Z8 which still has too many deer, so I will see breeding a month from now in early February, but mostly to fawn does born last spring/early summer.  If the herd is balanced, all does should have been bred last cycle.  Not in much of NJ or other densely populated deer areas of the country.     

5 hours ago, JHbowhunter said:

rut never really ended by me...  Best activity was after thanksgiving, but now, finally seems to be slowing down

Jack, I saw a buck around the corner from your house out running a doe on Thanksgiving day at 10:30 am.  Then I saw another one on the strut on December 13th by your house again. 

"Your short on ears and long on mouth"

Absolutely. Watched bucks run does around a field all afternoon today...and also saw a buck that was shed...it always makes me wonder though as they say a buck will shed once the testosterone levels have dropped. If they are still running and breeding does you’d thinks antlers would be holding better...

Sometimes I think the world has gone completely mad. And then I think, "Aw, who cares?" And then I think, "Hey, what's for supper?"

Rut never ends completely until the last doe is breed. Some young does don't come into heat until late and bucks are always on the run. The main rut however is over but that does not mean the big boys don't move in the day they are just more cautious when they don't have a woodie.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL