IGNORED

It's true - Cabelas refuses to sell shotguns to New Jersey residents (or..... maybe not)

mazzgolf

I just live-chatted with a Cabelas customer support rep and directly asked them, "I heard Cabelas will refuse to sell shotguns to New Jersey residents. Is this true?"

I was told, yes, it is true.

Cabelas has officially gone down the toilet.

UPDATE: I called the DE store and they told me that is not true - if you have an FID they will sell NJ residents rifles or shotguns that are legal to own in NJ.

Edited by mazzgolf

1 minute ago, Shakyjake said:

I believe that they only stopped the online sales. 

I specifically asked, "If I am a NJ resident and I physically walk into a Cabelas store, will you sell me a shotgun" - and I got a very direct answer - "no".

I don't think it is limited to online sales - I never even mentioned "online" and I explicitly mentioned "walking into a physical Cabelas store".

17 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I just live-chatted with a Cabelas customer support rep and directly asked them, "I heard Cabelas will refuse to sell shotguns to New Jersey residents. Is this true?"

I was told, yes, it is true.

Cabelas has officially gone down the toilet.

Time to flush them.

Here's the actual chat:

[01:29:42 PM]Me: Question: If a New Jersey resident physically goes to the Cabelas store in Delaware, can that NJ resident buy a shotgun? I am hearing rumors that Cabelas will refuse to sell shotguns to NJ residents, even if that person physically goes to an out of state Cabelas store
[01:29:57 PM]Ian: One moment please.
[01:32:11 PM]Ian: We wouldn't be able to sell a NJ resident a shotgun, I do apologize.
[01:32:40 PM]Me: and so it begins. OK. well. Cabelas has really gone downhill since the merger. Oh well.
[01:33:57 PM]Ian: I do apologize for the inconvenience, but this is due to the recent New Jersey legislation on firearms that we just follow.

I know of no "recent" NJ legislation that does this - besides, what does a NJ law have to do with a customer in Delaware buying a long gun?

Anyway - Cabelas is now yet another crappy big-box store, just like all the rest.

20 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

I specifically asked, "If I am a NJ resident and I physically walk into a Cabelas store, will you sell me a shotgun" - and I got a very direct answer - "no".

I don't think it is limited to online sales - I never even mentioned "online" and I explicitly mentioned "walking into a physical Cabelas store".

Did u call the pa or Delaware store?

I have baught several guns from both stores a couple fairly recrnt

9 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Did u call the pa or Delaware store?

OK, now this is weird. I just called them - the DE store - (hung up 10 seconds ago) - specifically asked the firearms desk this question, and he was like, "Yeah, sure. As long as you have an FID and it matches your driver's license, you can buy any rifle or shotgun that is legal to own in NJ".

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Edited by mazzgolf

• mazzgolf changed the title to It's true - Cabelas refuses to sell shotguns to New Jersey residents (or..... maybe not)
14 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

OK, now this is weird. I just called them - the DE store - (hung up 10 seconds ago) - specifically asked the firearms desk this question, and he was like, "Yeah, sure. As long as you have an FID and it matches your driver's license, you can buy any rifle or shotgun that is legal to own in NJ".

Sounds like the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

My guess is a cabelas in say Missouri will not but pa and Delaware being close to nj will