IGNORED

Could you? Would you?

Hunt without the use of bait and would you support a statewide ban on baiting?

Following up on a previous thread pole about baiting, would you support a statewide ban on baiting to bring deer hunting back to what it was supposed to be? Hunting natural travel routes, etc. which forced the hunter to understand the habits and preferred locations its quarry used instead of overlooking the preverbal pile which basically eliminates the need for thinking, understanding and successful taking of game on their terms. I for one enjoy the pursuit as much as the final success. I have taken animals over bait but rarely use it bowhunting. I am just not impressed by animals shot over a pile no matter what rack score or age, but that’s just me. So put it out there... Would you rather see baiting banned and real hunting be the norm? How would your typical hunt compare in regards to it? And would you feel a more exhilarating success at taking your quarry on their terms instead of over the trough?

AWM

This year I didn’t use bait hunted new areas didn't need it. Last year I leased 50 acres not a deer to be seen until we baited there was nothing for them on the property to be there until we baited.

ive hunted a lot of places in my life leased a lot of ground as well, some areas have every deer need so there’s no reason to bait, some have squat and and the only time you will see deer without bait is if they get pushed onto that area and by chance.

im not against baiting.

I’d much rather see a state wide 3 horn on one side rule and bag limit on bucks and doe. 

6 minutes ago, Bones said:

This year I didn’t use bait hunted new areas didn't need it. Last year I leased 50 acres not a deer to be seen until we baited there was nothing for them on the property to be there until we baited.

ive hunted a lot of places in my life leased a lot of ground as well, some areas have every deer need so there’s no reason to bait, some have squat and and the only time you will see deer without bait is if they get pushed onto that area and by chance.

im not against baiting.

I’d much rather see a state wide 3 horn on one side rule and bag limit on bucks and doe. 

Do you think the area was devoid of deer because bordering properties were baiting or other reason?

AWM

I personally hunt both with n without but usually don't sit over bait but hunt travel routes to n from.  Without its use a few areas I hunt would probably be useless to do so as people in nearby retirement developments have full bird feeders and put corn out for deer and they would have little reason to leave.

Another thing to look at would be those that have access to larger pieces of private land would reap most of the bennifit because they would be able to still be able to cultivate food plots again giving deer little reason to leave to adjacent public land.  

I also believe that banning it would put us back to populations that lead to more liberal bag limits and the use of bait relatively quickly, especially in areas like mentioned above.

With that said if it where in fact banned tommorow I would still effectively be able to hunt as I dont rely on bait in all of my hunting

I couldn't care less either way. I have doubts about the efficacy of baiting. Sure, you get deer on your bait so you think that you would not have gotten them any other way. I doubt it. If they ban it, I wouldn't care. One less thing to worry about. 

Alot more needs to go than bait to make it real hunting again .

get rid of bait , crossbows, in lines , slug guns .

go back to only shooting stick bows , and buckshot .

make all hunting a close range hunt .

No trail cams all scouting on foot ..

let’s make all land open to hunting as it’s not fair one guy has access to 500 acres and another only has ten . So you can hunt anywhere you want 

yep the anti would be able to shut it right down due to lack of participation because about 1 out of a hundred would still hunt.

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

One farm on one side of me I’ve leased this property for 5 years now still lease it but only turkey hunt it now.

bow season there camera showed a few decent bucks at night waking quad trails but heading towards the farm during day nothing 

winter is worse when the farm is all harvested nothing around until you bait.

and this is all oak forest egg corns everywhere but that’s how every property is there all oaks a farm here and there.

ive hunted pine woods thousands of acres anyplace that had a good natural run and sign had 55 tree stands up within 30 yards of each other in a 1/2 acre area.

beyond that deer didn’t move through most of the thousands of acres they need a food force pine needles gets old and not nutritious that’s why you see 65lbs 8 pointers get taken all the deer are tiny bodies.

3 hours ago, MGHunter66 said:

Useful response Dan SMH

No max it’s what’s happening to hunting ranks here in NJ.

There is so much competition for the big deer now that guys all want to change how their neighbor shot their buck .

‘there is ZERO camaraderie now as it’s become a me me sport..

a bait pile , trail camera , xbow , slug gun isn’t magic. None of them really make the deer fall over .

time in the tree using the given tools puts deer on the ground.

still have to be there the right time , make a good shot and have played the rest of the game correctly .

‘all PIECES of the puzzle.

Edited by hammer4reel

Captain Dan Bias

REELMUSIC SPORTFISHING

50# Striper live release club.

http://reelmusicsportfishing.blogspot.com/

I would suspect if you planted what the deer like to eat they would stay all year and not just when there is a bait pile.......many of the invasive species have pushed out the forest under growth that the deer would feed on........bait piles just create a harvest but not sustainability..............

ESTATESALESBYOLGA.COM    ALWAYS BUYING ANTIQUE AND VINTAGE ITEMS  CALL 908 868 8236 MIKE

I don’t think a ban on baiting would do anything but result in lack of interest from many hunters.  A majority of hunters will hunt very small parcels of land in between very populous areas.  Your few acres to hunt may not have deer traveling naturally through your property so baiting gives them a reason to be there resulting in a most likely successful hunts.  Hunters like myself that enjoy hunting off sign rather than a bait site has tons of opportunities in NJ.  Most hunters don’t want to put the effort into finding these public spots and/ or have the patience to hunt them effectively.  A baited site is never a guarantee and for many has resulted in poor success for many reasons.  Plus, once you take something away from hunting regulations you will NEVER get it back.  Hunting with a  bait ban would benefit me for example but would be a loss for hunters as a whole.  I would imagine restructuring the deer seasons and bag limits separating public land from private land would be the only benefit to NJ deer hunting.

My opinion is that bait is just another tool to be used in the pursuit of game. Some properties benefit from the use of bait. Some don’t. As parcels of huntable land get smaller, it’s almost a necessity. 
    NJ still has big tracts of land which can be accessed by the public. If guys want to go test their woodsmanship and skill without bait the opportunity is there. 
 As Hammer was eluding to, we as hunters don’t want to further reduce our numbers by making things even more difficult.