IGNORED

Need Some Suggestions on .243 Rifle

Russ 11

27 minutes ago, Russ 11 said:

Another member suggested the same .  I looked but didn’t see one for $700.  

RUSS11,

My recommendation to you would be to start going to the range and just BS with other shooters on the subject and get opinions on what they are shooting. usually they are a great bunch and many will offer suggestions and some would even let you try what they shoot. (I would).

If you are looking to shoot coyotes and want to do it at distances over 100 yards a 22-250 is an exceptionally flat shooting fast round that will kill any Yote. There are a lot of guns but I would not recommend you spend a fortune until you have done the research on the rounds and their capabilities. Savage is a good entry level predator gun that is good  inexpensive choice for NJ where you are not for the most part trying to take 300 yard  plus shots. The heaver the load the more chance of a new shooter will not being as steady as he should be at long distances. The timny triggers are a great additive but for shots at 100 yards not necessary.

Go the the range with friends and try what they have before you spend your hard earned money. If you are still looking after covid vaccines are out I would be glad to go to the range with you and let you shoot my Savage 22-250, or my custom barreled 22-250 on a Mauser action, or a Remington 700 30-06 as you can get a feel for what you like.  Think it over and if you would like to just talk about it PM me and I will be glad to give you my phone number and you could call me and just talk over possibilities. I have had a couple hours on the range over the years and would be happy to share my experience with you.

Last thing I want to add, hunting coyotes in NJ is not an easy task and most including myself after a lot of time trying to get them in shoot range just say F it. Now that not to say you wont be successful but if you are not you wont have a lot invested.

Edited by bushden
grammer & spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I Own a Tikka T3 in 243 absolutely a tac driver out to 175+. Finding one fir 7 now is tuff. Look more like 800. If your stuck on 600 Savage is the way to go. Just make sure it’s a newer model with the accutrigger. Both are great guns. Fit and finish the Tikka gets the nod..

I just picked up the savage axis in .223 from bass pro on the Black Friday deal.  I got it for around $240 after rebate.  It’s camo’d out and comes with a scope too.  I know a lot of guys boo at cheap guns but I’ve been shooting it a lot because it’s just plain fun..... and so far it’s held it’s zero and hasn’t had any issues.  As of now I don’t have any regrets about it. 

First question for the OP:  Why a .243?

When I was looking for a predator rifle I too was looking at the larger calibers.  I decided to settle on the .223 mainly because I might want to save pelts in sometime in the future.  The larger caliber will do more damage to the pelt than the smaller one, and both are equally as effective on yotes.

I am considering getting one of these made, and it's a shame that @JerseyJaysTaxidermydoesn't hand make them.

Coyote_Fur_Davy_Crockett_Hat_with_FaceLe

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

9 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

First question for the OP:  Why a .243?

When I was looking for a predator rifle I too was looking at the larger calibers.  I decided to settle on the .223 mainly because I might want to save pelts in sometime in the future.  The larger caliber will do more damage to the pelt than the smaller one, and both are equally as effective on yotes.

I am considering getting one of these made, and it's a shame that @JerseyJaysTaxidermydoesn't hand make them.

Coyote_Fur_Davy_Crockett_Hat_with_FaceLe

.243 just for its versatility. Could also be used for deer , antelope.  Nice hat Haskell .

6 hours ago, Russ 11 said:

.243 just for its versatility. Could also be used for deer , antelope.  Nice hat Haskell .

Any one of the brands mentioned here will do a good job with this caliber.

I bought a Savage .223 bolt action from a member here and the thing is a tack driver.  Very happy with that rifle.  I also have a Ruger AR also in .223/5.56 that is a tack driver.  16" barrel but sub MOA out to 100 yards.  I have a Remington 700 but it's no longer the best rifle I own, and arguably not one of the better ones.  I think I got it in 2014 or 2016, but it's not the best one I own.  Best rifle I own is the Weatherby.  Thing is amazing, but it's also the most expensive, and I had it custom built.  But I would buy another Weatherby if I had a good enough excuse.

I like this one, and it's in your price range:  https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=firearms&a=product_summary&s=57286

MSRP is $515, and with the times the way that they are, I suspect you'd be paying MSRP for it.  A quick check on Gunbroker shows 7 available, none in .243.  They are on sale between $499-$560.  There is a 3-9x40mm scope included with the gun, and it's sighted in at the factory.  So for $500 you walk away with the gun, scope, and some leftover money to buy ammo for it.  Savage guns are affordable guns, and they are good guns.  As I mentioned above, I own one and think highly of it.

Good luck looking for a rifle.  Please update this thread with the gun you purchase and leave a review.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.