3 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Here is that section with relevant points in bold:

If those Federal .410 shells can be fired out of a handgun as well, then yes it should be recorded and the buyer's age should be confirmed as 21.  I would suspect many transactions occur that don't follow this, i.e. .22LR and other interchangeable rounds.

If what you are proposing is true, then all ammo would need to go through this process if a single product exists on the market that could be classified as a handgun and fire this ammo.  Although .410 can be fire in a pistol, it is commonly intended to be fired from a shotgun and is regularly classified as shotgun ammo.

That section also covers hollow-nosed rounds.  That would mean 12/20GA shotgun slugs must also be recorded since they are all hollow-nosed rounds.  It would mean that everything EXCEPT range ammo must be recorded since many rifle hunting rounds are expandable rounds, also called dum-dum rounds.

Welcome to Nazi Jersey!

13 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

If what you are proposing is true, then all ammo would need to go through this process if a single product exists on the market that could be classified as a handgun and fire this ammo.  Although .410 can be fire in a pistol, it is commonly intended to be fired from a shotgun and is regularly classified as shotgun ammo.

That section also covers hollow-nosed rounds.  That would mean 12/20GA shotgun slugs must also be recorded since they are all hollow-nosed rounds.  It would mean that everything EXCEPT range ammo must be recorded since many rifle hunting rounds are expandable rounds, also called dum-dum rounds.

Welcome to Nazi Jersey!

Yes, welcome to NJ

2 hours ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Welcome to Nazi Jersey!

Incorrect on the slugs

6 hours ago, BowhunterNJ said:

Here is that section with relevant points in bold:

If those Federal .410 shells can be fired out of a handgun as well, then yes it should be recorded and the buyer's age should be confirmed as 21.  I would suspect many transactions occur that don't follow this, i.e. .22LR and other interchangeable rounds.

Correct

2C:58-3.3 "Handgun ammunition" defined; sale, purchase, etc., regulated; violation, fourth degree crime.

1. a. As used in this act, "handgun ammunition" means ammunition specifically designed to be used only in a handgun. "Handgun ammunition" shall not include blank ammunition, air gun pellets, flare gun ammunition, nail gun ammunition, paint ball ammunition, or any non-fixed ammunition.

That's the LAW!  

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2019/title-2c/section-2c-58-3-3/

Edited by nickmarch
1 hour ago, Bucndoe said:

Incorrect on the slugs

Based on the wording in the law, hollow-point rounds are indeed covered.

This is the section of the law that Matt posted:

The dealer shall confirm the age of the purchaser of rifle and shotgun ammunition as 18, and handgun ammunition as 21. No record need be maintained for the sale or disposition of shotgun or rifle ammunition. However, sales or other dispositions of ammunition intended for use in any other firearm and which may be interchangeable between rifles and handguns, as well as hollow-nosed or dum-dum ammunition, must be recorded. 

The sentence that says shotgun or rifle ammunition sales will not be recorded is in direct conflict with the statement after it saying that hollow-nosed or dum-dum ammunition must be recorded.  And although a law agency says it's one way or the other, judges in NJ tend to legislate from the bench, and you are at risk of getting a judge that interprets the law to mean all hollow-point ammo.  That's just another example of NJ's confusing gun laws and the risk you have if you get in front of a NJ judge.

So while I would like to agree with you, I am not sure I can based on how the law is worded.

22 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

Based on the wording in the law, hollow-point rounds are indeed covered.

This is the section of the law that Matt posted:

The sentence that says shotgun or rifle ammunition sales will not be recorded is in direct conflict with the statement after it saying that hollow-nosed or dum-dum ammunition must be recorded.  And although a law agency says it's one way or the other, judges in NJ tend to legislate from the bench, and you are at risk of getting a judge that interprets the law to mean all hollow-point ammo.  That's just another example of NJ's confusing gun laws and the risk you have if you get in front of a NJ judge.

So while I would like to agree with you, I am not sure I can based on how the law is worded.

Call NJSP Firearms Unit to confirm

I was asking if the laws states were only applicable to retail ammo sellers, but apparently that is not the case. 
So from the statute you provided it appears one must ensure a buyer of handgun ammo has an FID and is 21 years of age. 

5 minutes ago, Pathman said:

I was asking if the laws states were only applicable to retail ammo sellers, but apparently that is not the case. 
So from the statute you provided it appears one must ensure a buyer of handgun ammo has an FID and is 21 years of age. 

They were talking about a regulation but the regulation they were talking about is for retail dealers record keeping not private citizens.

The link in my last post is the law. That applies to citizens and dealers.  Buyers and sellers.