IGNORED

Duck Hunting With No Dog and No Boat

Danbran

Hi,

I would really like to get out and duck hunt but I a)don’t have a dog and b)don’t have a boat. 

I’m comfortable with a shotgun and have been duck hunting several times before (in PA). Are there people (not guides) who are willing to take other hunters in exchange for some $ (again, not guide money) or even help work on their land?

Thanks!

I'm sure you can find a guide service so long as you're licensed etc.  Might also find some private property to hunt if you don't mind knocking on doors.  New Jersey also has a lot of public salt marsh if you're willing to walk in.  Key is to make sure you can retrieve  what you shoot.  Can be good puddle duck hunting.

I did that for years as a kid on Crosswicks creek and always had a ball

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

On 1/2/2021 at 7:16 PM, Danbran said:

Hi,

I would really like to get out and duck hunt but I a)don’t have a dog and b)don’t have a boat. 

I’m comfortable with a shotgun and have been duck hunting several times before (in PA). Are there people (not guides) who are willing to take other hunters in exchange for some $ (again, not guide money) or even help work on their land?

Thanks!

I'll leave the guide parts to others that know them, but as far as duck hunting without a dog or boat, I have retrieved ducks and geese on the water with the following:

1) An inflatable raft (we came home hours after dark because of needing to blow it up in the woods and both got grounded)

2) A baitcasting rod with a big Jitterbug on it because you can really cast them far and the Jitterbug is easily steered and floats well.

3) My younger brother stripping down to his underwear to retrieve a goose I shot that died in a big pond while we were pheasant hunting alongside it back when lead shot was legal.  I still can't believe A) he did that in November in freezing cold water without even us talking about it, and B ) that he was wearing underwear far too small for him, a sight I still can't get out of my mind 30+ years later. :rofl: 

2 minutes ago, Bucksnbows said:

1) An inflatable raft (we came home hours after dark because of needing to blow it up in the woods and both got grounded)

2) A baitcasting rod with a big Jitterbug on it because you can really cast them far and the Jitterbug is easily steered and floats well.

3) My younger brother stripping down to his underwear to retrieve a goose I shot that died in a big pond while we were pheasant hunting alongside it back when lead shot was legal.  I still can't believe A) he did that in November in freezing cold water without even us talking about it, and B ) that he was wearing underwear far too small for him, a sight I still can't get out of my mind 30+ years later. :rofl: 

I never tried the inflatable or bait casting reel, but did strip down and go across the creek in the cold water to retrieve ducks, also used a large snagging treble hook on throw line.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

There are plenty of places to hunt in NJ to waterfowl hunt not requiring a boat or a dog. I'd suggest to do some map scouting on public lands. Maps of WMAs can be found on the fish and game page. Even better, apps like onX hunt give overlay of satellite and property boundaries. Then from there get boots on the ground and scout out places you marked on your map.

After getting your eyes on a spot, if its no good for no boat/dog cross it off the list, if its good then you have a place in your pocket. Then on to the next mark and so on. Right after the seasons close is a great time of year to do this as the spring migration is taking place so birds should still frequent areas they prefer in the fall/winter. 

Unfortunately your ask of $ for hunting with non-guides will be hard to find the people willing to take you to their spots. Its just the way it is in waterfowling, the only person responsible for your success is yourself. Go out there and make it happen!

I just registered to post here. I'm in the same predicament as you. I'm trying to find some places nearby in NY/NJ that I can walk into to hunt.

The majority of places that I find seem to require a boat to access. From looking at satellite photos, it doesn't look like you can walk far from the parking lots/launch sites and it all looks like salt marshes and some pretty gnarly walking.

I've bow hunted for a while and never really got into guns so the legalities are a little confusing to me, not sure if all state/federal land is fair game to hunt on unless otherwise stated. I'll try to send you a message, maybe we can figure this out together!