IGNORED

Gun Safes

OldMenRule

Happy New Year ( Lets hope so ) Was wondering how many members out there have actual gun safes? I have a small collection and utilize a gun cabinet. My kids are not a concern as they are in their late teens and twenties. My cabinet is hidden and would take some time to locate. That said I want to upgrade to an actual safe and as usual would like to pick the brains of the more experienced out their.  

I want nothing grand, I saw a Winchester 12 gun safe at Tractor supply for $380. Seemed a fine piece. As always I'd greatly appreciate some opinions. 

Get one that has a fire rating of at least 30 minutes.  I figure 30 minutes is long enough for my garage to burn itself out  Mine is a Liberty.  Was on sale a long time ago for around 600-800.  Check for a fire rating on the winchester

Edited by Greybeard

Liberty or Cannon. Lots of models to choose from with both brands. However, any safe is better than no safe at all

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."

I have a Liberty, they are about the best available.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I have 2 safes. A Winchester model from Tractor Supply and a Liberty. Both are the same size but the Liberty cost twice as much. The Liberty is considered the better safe but the Winchester serves its purpose. The Winchester has a 30 minute fire rating at 1200 degrees. I believe the Liberty is also 30 minutes but at 1400 degrees. I have had them both for several years with no problems. As already stated get one bigger one than you currently need. I also store other  valuable items and important papers in mine. You can usually get a couple extra guns in the than indicated if you store the guns in a gun sock. The gun sock allows you to put the guns closer together without them being damaged.

6 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I would buy a tractor supply type safe. They will protect you from 99% of the burglars. The pros will get into almost anything. Some of them have fire ratings, get that if it makes you feel good, but they are probably toast in a big fire.

A fire rated safe will protect your guns and valuables in a room n content fire.  Once it becomes a structure fire any thing in the safe is toast.  An engulfed structure can burn at 2000 degrees and any direct flame contact with the safe will start to melt fire arms inside and can and will cause paper products to combust as flash point is reached inside the safe.