IGNORED

Who is hunting coyotes this season?

Gobblengrunt

I went out this morning. Nothing but hawks and crows. 

I plan on going tomorrow morning.

I only do daytime calling. Foxpro, Mojo, scent and a Savage m16 .204 Ruger

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

Yotes are hard to hunt but one of the most fun hunts I have. Smart animals that learn quickly and don’t easily forget.

When a yote comes in he makes a half circle downwind of what he’s interested in. If he catches your scent, he’s gone. You need to know your geography and figure out where they are going to come in from, where the wind is, and where you’re going to set up to get him on his approach. 

I’ve always gotten them after sunrise and before noon. They hunt ears, scent, sight.  I’ve had deer and turkey walk right up to my blind. Never seen a yote from the blind. I hunt them out in the open like I’m hunting spring turkey. 

Figure out the land, the wind, and set up your call and get down in your spot. See if you can bring one in and connect. 

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

When you cannot measure, your knowledge is meager and unsatisfactory.

ill be out trying but i have only ever shot fox. i had yotes calling back to me at night but never came in. or they did come in, caught my scent and thats that. at least we can use rifles during the day. that ups our chances for a long shot. i hunt with my ruger american ranch chambered in .223/5.56

I have a trapper coming in F those coyotes and raccoons and fox that wipe out the turkeys.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

5 hours ago, Tally833 said:

How do you guys call them in with an electronic caller/ or how do you know which sounds to make?  If it’s early daytime do you use howls?  Just distress?   Any tips would be appreciated!  

Foxpro hammerjack call and run coyote dinner bell sound

20 minutes ago, birdshotnj said:

Foxpro hammerjack call and run coyote dinner bell sound

I tried a foxpro which I still have,collecting dust, with sheep calls and even let some sheep out in the back field but could not get them in.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

I never have but want to.  I bought a 223 a few years ago for that purpose not knowing that rifles can't be used in State Forests and I hunt a State Forest.  I want to kill the coyote that kill the deer and turkeys that I hunt and I want to use the 223.  There are spots where long shots can be made but not with a shotgun.

Maybe I'll get the 223 out of my head and use a shotgun?  

I know a guy who puts out star anise oil and menhaden oil to attract them and cover his scent.  Anyone here use either of them?

I was planning on using a rifle if a State Forest. 

I only recall seeing groundhogs with rifles on WMAs being an issue. 

United Bowhunters of New Jersey

New Jersey Fur Harvester
New Jersey Trappers Association
National Trappers Association

I have never done it before, but I need to give it a go this year.... They have overrun the mountain I hunt, the deer are pushed out of certain areas.  

I am not going to lie, I am a little hesitant with them being so dog like, I guess I need to get over it and do it for the good of the deer! I am strictly a deer/bow hunter so this will be a new experience for me.

17 minutes ago, ub1243 said:

I was planning on using a rifle if a State Forest. 

I only recall seeing groundhogs with rifles on WMAs being an issue. 

If you search for... NJ hunt coyote faq... at the bottom of page 3?  You will see what's in the pic below.  The other pic is the State Forest  code. I assume because of the trails bird watchers and other activities they don't allow rifles?

Screenshot_20210104-171137~2.jpg

Screenshot_20210104-171621.jpg

9 hours ago, Tally833 said:

How do you guys call them in with an electronic caller/ or how do you know which sounds to make?  If it’s early daytime do you use howls?  Just distress?   Any tips would be appreciated!  

Two calls you can use:  Injured rabbit or injured coyote pup.  I've actually called in birds of prey with the injured rabbit call and moving decoy.  I've had luck with both of those calls.  Get a moving decoy if you can.  Sound and sight are important calling tools.

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.

1 hour ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I've actually called in birds of prey with the injured rabbit call and moving decoy

Yup! And, take it from me - make sure you carry with you an extra decoy!!! Because when an owl swoops down and snatches your fuzzy-wuzzy decoy topper, you're gonna wish you had an extra one on hand.

You know that feeling when you are watching something and it doesn't quite register what is going on, but then it sloooowly starts to dawn on you what is about to happen??? Couple years ago, I saw this HUGE owl (or hawk, I'm still not even sure) with this huge wing span suddenly appear out from the top of a tree and began to float down towards me - I think to myself "Oh, neat... look at that! What a beautiful bird...." Then it started to dawn on me what he was about to do... I stood up to try to spook it away, but it was too late ... "HEY YOU BIRD! GET OUT OF HERE!! DON'T TAKE THAT!!! @#$%^@!%@#$% :rant:

Went home and immediately got online and ordered two more. :smash:

6 minutes ago, mazzgolf said:

Yup! And, take it from me - make sure you carry with you an extra decoy!!! Because when an owl swoops down and snatches your fuzzy-wuzzy decoy topper, you're gonna wish you had an extra one on hand.

You know that feeling when you are watching something and it doesn't quite register what is going on, but then it sloooowly starts to dawn on you what is about to happen??? Couple years ago, I saw this HUGE owl (or hawk, I'm still not even sure) with this huge wing span suddenly appear out from the top of a tree and began to float down towards me - I think to myself "Oh, neat... look at that! What a beautiful bird...." Then it started to dawn on me what he was about to do... I stood up to try to spook it away, but it was too late ... "HEY YOU BIRD! GET OUT OF HERE!! DON'T TAKE THAT!!! @#$%^@!%@#$% :rant:

Went home and immediately got online and ordered two more. :smash:

LOL!  Yup, called in a few owls too!  At least you know your setup is working!

Sapere aude.

Audeamus.