IGNORED

Who is hunting coyotes this season?

Gobblengrunt

I enjoy hunting coyotes with the rifle during this “special” season.  It’s strange that walking/ scouting 5-10 miles every single day (part of my expertise routine) and with up 20 cameras out at a time, I’ve seen very few coyotes this year Passaic/ Morris counties) I like to think I’m making a difference over the years but in reality I think they have moved into areas with more food.  Anybody seeing coyotes?  I’m seeing plenty of bobcats and fox though.  Good luck to all that go out.  I hunt most every morning for yotes so if anybody wants to join me or are in need of some eradication in your spots, please pm me

You can only rifle hunt in daytime in NJ.  I only hunt daytime for coyotes.  I do a lot of predator hunting and I’ve had much greater success in daytime than night.  Contrary to what all the “experts” will say, I kill a majority of my coyotes in the morning-mid morning.  Fox I will always do better before dark (but they are easy to kill!).  Btw, I hunt with a .243 also!

4 minutes ago, MikeStaten said:

Never tried it before but would like to.   Do you usually use an electronic call or regular call?   If e-caller, are there any out there that are decent for under $150?

Foxpro patriot is all you need for eastern hunting ($150).  I use both electronic and hand calls depending on the particular situation and location.  I found that the correct location is more important than the type of calls.  I’m a big fan of using multiple calls at that same time particularly when hunting coyotes using coyote talk.

4 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I bought a caller a few years ago. I can get them howling and barking from my front porch. Just need to set up in one of my fields with a gun and see what happens.

If you set up on them correctly you will kill one or two of them.  Is setup is wrong, you will educate them making them almost impossible to call again.  No matter how hungry they are or excited they may sound, they rarely respond without due caution

1 minute ago, Gobblengrunt said:

If you set up on them correctly you will kill one or two of them.  Is setup is wrong, you will educate them making them almost impossible to call again.  No matter how hungry they are or excited they may sound, they rarely respond without due caution

I was thinking about setting up in a blind on one of my food plots. 

3 minutes ago, electric10162 said:

I was thinking about setting up in a blind on one of my food plots. 

Not that it can’t happen but in my experience it always seems to be a mistake to try to call a dog into the open.  Eastern dogs seem to respond much more cautious and usually use cover and wind to determine if they are responding to an actual meal or intruder.  I use a portable treestand on most of my setups.  Most dogs that come running in are young.

I will be. I know of a couple spots where there are a bunch of them. One is my friend's property where the yotes are getting really bold. You can hear them some mornings real close behind the house - like less-than-100-yards-close. I thought they had moved on from this place, because earlier I wasn't hearing them. But past few months, they've been really vocal and have been showing themselves close to the house. I think these guys grew up (this was a couple years ago - about 150 yards from the back door of the house):

23 minutes ago, Gobblengrunt said:

Not that it can’t happen but in my experience it always seems to be a mistake to try to call a dog into the open.  Eastern dogs seem to respond much more cautious and usually use cover and wind to determine if they are responding to an actual meal or intruder.  I use a portable treestand on most of my setups.  Most dogs that come running in are young.

Good advice. I have plenty of deer setups that would probably work. 

We will be starting up soon . I’ve been seeing them from my one deer stand pretty common the last few weeks on the neighboring property , and seeing tons of tracks  on our side . I’m putting a buddy in that stand tomorrow morning , trying to get him a deer or a coyote hopefully one or the other shows up . 

On 1/1/2021 at 11:42 AM, Lunatic said:

I’ll try again this year although I’m not very successful. We have them, we see them, but calling them in is difficult 

I am with you on this one, I too have tried hunting them without success. We went with trappers to lower the numbers but they keep repopulating.

Edited by bushden
sp

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL