IGNORED

First time tips

splitArrowFarm

Hello All,
1st time poster.... I am new to Mercer County and Deer hunting in general.  I find myself confused by the regulations for when to use what and where. I am hoping you experienced hunters might be able to share some of the specifics when it comes to deer hunting.

Example: Shot Gun Season just passed but I believe it only is extended ?, ok  I AM LATE to the game, but Jan 2nd to Feb based on regulations page it looks like I can hunt then?. I have a basic Mossberg 500 and want to follow all the rules even though I will be hunting on my own land.

Do I need anything special besides a 12 Gauge shotgun and some patience?

What type of ammo must I use?

Is there a butcher which handles the packaging on site (other then myself who has no one to show me how)?

Also what happened to hunting with an old .30-.30? Is there a time of year in NJ that it is allowed?

I dont know anyone out here and am getting confused with NJ rules/regulations from all the online sources. Appreciate any guidance!

Thanks all 

Edited by splitArrowFarm

Rifles are not allowed for deer in NJ except for ML rifles. As for the extended seasons you need to look up the zone you are hunting in and check the approved dates for that specific zone. The Compendium is available online at the Fish and Game site. The link is http://www.eregulations.com/newjersey/hunting/ 

It is a long read but a must read if you are going to hunt. Late season deer is by zone specific permit and dates vary by zone so make sure you understand the zones before you go out.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

the Mossberg 500 is fine for deer, but if using slugs you need to use a scope, rifle sights or peep site...and bead for a sight isn't allowed with slugs so if that is what is on your barrel buckshot is all you can use, patience is the name of the game, you can purchase a rifled/cantilever barrel for your mossberg this barrel with a scope will vastly improve your range and accuracy 

there is a list of butchers on here

no centerfire rifles allowed in nj

4 minutes ago, BHC said:

the Mossberg 500 is fine for deer, but if using slugs you need to use a scope, rifle sights or peep site...and bead for a sight isn't allowed with slugs so if that is what is on your barrel buckshot is all you can use, patience is the name of the game, you can purchase a rifled/cantilever barrel for your mossberg this barrel with a scope will vastly improve your range and accuracy 

What size buck shot do I need if I just have a bead for a sight?

I would start with 3" 00 and go from there until you find what shoots best.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

18 minutes ago, BHC said:

Thanks for the reply. Sorry but when you say no centerfire rifles allowed in NJ. Do you just mean for Deer hunting or all hunting/ownership?

Just now, electric10162 said:

Welcome!

Do you have your firearm, archery, muzzleloader licenses?

Yes I have all the licenses for 2020 and 2021. Just settled into our home and had been feeling out the land for best traffic. Now I feel ready to get out there and sit in the stands for both Deer and Coyote. Just want to make sure I am using the correct equipment and following proper harvest regulations. I do not have muzzleloader. All I own is rifles/shotguns/bow.

Since this is the deer forum, ill post again elsewhere when I figure out the site for Coyote questions :) Hopefully .22 or .223 .556 is ok in NJ as it was in NY. 

If you’re hunting in Mercer County, then you’re hunting in one of these zones.

12, 14, 15, 17, 41

1122461635_PermitShotgunRegulationforDeerHunting.thumb.jpg.c176ec9ee430e3a680679270104204aa.jpg

The dates under Permit Shotgun are…

Either sex: Dec. 16–18, 2020; Jan. 2–Feb. 13, 2021

Unlimited antlerless and 1 antlered (2 deer at a time may be taken)

Note: Antlered deer may be taken only when the hunter possesses both an Antlered Buck Shotgun Permit and a valid zone-specific antlerless deer permit.

The legal ammunition for deer hunting…

2008534941_PremitShotgunLegalAmmunitionforDerrHunting.jpg.372cf67b90e6a1c570807a31ee6137a5.jpg

Extra deer harvest tags…

1226238443_DeerHarvestReportTags.thumb.jpg.68bc24bf77b3a3fd05ff94abba96de2a.jpg

This link has everything you are asking…https://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#hunting Although, you should take some time and read the hunting digest.

I tried putting everything together that all the above posts stated.

Lastly, welcome to the site. Good luck and be safe!

My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C 4-5 quadriplegic.