IGNORED

Muzzleloader Cleaning/Maintanence

15 minutes ago, Michael Britt said:

Can I just use Super Tech Hi-Temp Grease to lube my breech plug?

I clean my other gun barrels with non-toxic Gunzilla. Anybody use this on their Muzzy barrel? Do they make Boresnakes for Muzzys?

Is there a specific cleaning kit you can recommend with all the essentials?

I clean with  Gunzilla only and it works great. For storing off season and lube of parts I use rem oil. At the end of the season after cleaning with Gunzilla I swipe a patch with rem oil on it.
Gunzila is great for cleaning and more you use it the easier is to clean it but with long term storage Gunzilla will gum-up.

I use T/C Solvent but I NEVER USE A BORE SNAKE !! The bore snake will hold corrosives on it and not clean they way a ML should be cleaned. You are better off using patched and change the patch with every wipe down the barrel until the patch comes up clean. Also use an offset nylon cleaning brush on the breech threads inside the barrel the wipe threads with patch until clean. Breech plug should be cleaned with solvent and same with nipple, use wire to insure nipple is clean inside then I use pipe cleaner to finish cleaning the nipple in inside of breech plug. I use lithium grease on the breech plug and nipple threads. If you gun is a bolt like the Rem700ML disassemble the bolt after EVERY SHOT, BP gets inside and will corrode the spring if not cleaned. When all is done I use a light coat of LSA oil on all parts. BEFORE you use the gun make sure you run one last patch down the barrel to make sure there is no excess oil that will foul the powder when you load the rifle. If you follow these instructions you will have a lifetime good working gun, if you do not clean properly you could throw the gun away in just a few years and if you leave the gun dirty after firing and put it away for the season you will be buying a new ML the next season and throwing that one away.

Edited by bushden

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

20 minutes ago, bushden said:

I use T/C Solvent but I NEVER USE A BORE SNAKE !! The bore snake will hold corrosives on it and not clean they way a ML should be cleaned. You are better off using patched and change the patch with every wipe down the barrel until the patch comes up clean. Also use an offset nylon cleaning brush on the breech threads inside the barrel the wipe threads with patch until clean. Breech plug should be cleaned with solvent and same with nipple, use wire to insure nipple is clean inside then I use pipe cleaner to finish cleaning the nipple in inside of breech plug. I use lithium grease on the breech plug and nipple threads. If you gun is a bold like the Rem700ML disassemble the bolt after EVERY SHOT, BP gets inside and will corrode the spring if not cleaned. When all is done I use a light coat of LSA oil on all parts. BEFORE you use the gun make sure you run one last patch down the barrel to make sure there is no excess oil that will foul the powder when you load the rifle. If you follow these instructions you will have a lifetime good working gun, if you do not clean properly you could throw the gun away in just a few years and if you leave the gun dirty after firing and put it away for the season you will be buying a new ML the next season and throwing that one away.

Interesting. I have never cleaned my breach plug with anything but soap and water.
In fact I am tired just reading all of your steps. :happywave:
I clean with Gunzilla until patches come reasonably clean and I am done. I had my Muzzy for 9 years now and its a tack driver. Never missfired or had any other problems with it.
One year I forgot to clean the gun after the last shot of the season and 4 years latter it is still as good as new, still a tack driver.  I wonder if all this work they tell us we need to put into cleaning the gun is just to sell the products.

Edited by Lunatic

11 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Interesting. I have never cleaned my breach plug with anything but soap and water.
In fact I am tired just reading all of your steps. :happywave:
I clean with Gunzilla until patches come reasonably clean and I am done. I had my Muzzy for 9 years now and its a tack driver. Never missfired or had any other problems with it.
One year I forot to clean the gun after the last shot of the season and 4 years latter it is still as good as new, still a tack driver.  I wonder of all this work they tell us we need to put into cleaning the gun is just to sell the products.

If you are using black powder or pyrodex leaving a gun dirty for an season will corrode the barrel, try looking inside with a light if you can and you will be amazed at the pitting. As for accuracy it may be a tack driver but before the corrosion it probably was a pin driver. I have trouble be leaving there is no barrel damage after leaving it dirty for an entire season. There is nothing wrong with gunzilla as long as you get the barrel clean as for the soap and water that is not much different that the t/c cleaner you just got to grt it clean and dry.  Now as for my methods of gun cleaning they kept me and my guns alive for a lot of years. You can never have a gun that's too clean and failure of the gun will always happen at the worst possible time and for some of us that may a critical time of need.

Edited by bushden
grammer & spelling

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

4 minutes ago, bushden said:

If you are using black powder or pyrodex leaving a gun dirty for an season will corrode the barrel, try looking inside with a light if you can and you will be amazed at the pitting. As for accuracy it may be a tack driver but before the corrosion it probably was a pin driver. I have trouble be leaving there is no barrel damage after leaving it dirty for an entire season. There is nothing wrong with gunzilla as long as you get the barrel clean as for the soap and water that is not much different that the t/c cleaner you just got to grt it clean and dry.  Now as for my methods of gun cleaning they kept me and my guns alive for a lot of years. You can never have a gun that's too clean and failure of the gun will always happen at the worst possible time and for some of us that may a critical time of need.

I use Pyrodex and I looked and there is no pitting, non, zero. More important the gun works like it did day one, in fact it is more accurate than when it was new.  Have you ever looked inside of a muzzy left uncleaned for 10 months after cleaning?