IGNORED

baiting in NJ - Poll

Lunatic

baiting in NJ   

94 members have voted

1. 1. Who hunts over bait and how often ?

• I hunt over bait 100% of the time
    • I hunt over bait 80% of the time
    • I hunt over bait 60% of the time
    • I hunt over bait 40% of the time
    • I hunt over bait 20% of the time
    • I never hunt over bait

• Lunatic changed the title to baiting in NJ - Poll

I used to live and hunt in PA where baiting is prohibited. When I first started hunting in NJ 10 years ago, I was exited at the prospect of "easy" hunting over bait.  As it turned out, baiting for me was not very productive.  I had more bears coming in to the bait than deer.  I baited for 3 seasons then gave it up.  In the end, hunting over bait doesn't feel like "hunting" to me... just like deer drives. 

This past year, my 8 year old expressed interest in hunting.  So, I bought a 2-man ladder stand and hung it in a relatively easy to access area.  We saw a couple of deer the first afternoon of fall bow.  He really liked that.  However, after 3 sits of seeing nothing he lost interest and rejected my invitations to go hunting.  2 weeks ago, to help build his interest back, I set up a bait site near that stand.  I also setup a cell cam overlooking the bait site.  He enjoys seeing the deer pics coming in throughout the day.  We're planning our first sit this Saturday with the slug gun.  The only bucks that are coming in are small, but I'm not picky at this point.  As long as he has fun, that's all that matters.  Who knows, I may even shoot and donate a doe.  As soon as I put a buck down, I'm pulling the bait.

Edited by barrike

I also choose 60% which I think for me is pretty close.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

26 minutes ago, barrike said:

I used to live and hunt in PA where baiting is prohibited. When I first started hunting in NJ 10 years ago, I was exited at the prospect of "easy" hunting over bait.  As it turned out, baiting for me was not very productive.  I had more bears coming in to the bait than deer.  I baited for 3 seasons then gave it up.  In the end, hunting over bait doesn't feel like "hunting" to me... just like deer drives. 

If you are a young guy and have never been on a south jersey pine hunt where the clubs drive, you really do not know what you are missing, it is an experience I think everyone should try. Lots of fun, lots of hard work humping through the pines and even more fun in the evenings when you go back to the camps and make memories that last a life time. I personally hunted with the Chambersburg Hunting Club in Tabernacle back in the 60's and had a lot of fun.

Edited by bushden
SPELLING

HONOR THE FALLEN
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL

20 minutes ago, bushden said:

If you are a young guy and have never been on a south jersey pine hunt where the clubs drive, you really do not know what you are missing, it is an experience I think everyone should try. Lots of fun, lots of hard work humping through the pines and even more fun in the evenings when you go back to the camps and make memories that last a live time. I personally hunted with the Chambersburg Hunting Club in Tabernacle back in the 60's and had a lot of fun.

Every year on the last Friday of the PA rifle season, I participate on drives with a small group of friends and family.  It's always a great time, but it's more about the camaraderie and less about the hunt.  If I want to hunt, I go alone or with a kid.

Edited by barrike

9 minutes ago, barrike said:

Every year on the last Friday of the PA rifle season, I participate on drives with a small group of friends and family.  It's always a great time, but it's more about the camaraderie and less about the hunt.  If I want to hunt, I go alone or with a kid.

I am sure you PA drives are fun with friends, but the YO BUCK crews in NJ pines is a unique experience of a different kind of hunt with a large groups of guys who go back to a camp at the end of a hard day and eat, drink, play cards and remember all the good times of past years.

Edited by bushden
SPELLING

HONOR THE FALLEN

I bait but I rarely hunt over it. 

I also have several food plots. 

Deer like variety. 

I have my property dialed in, I know pretty much how they move through out and use it to 

Manipulate the deer on trails past stands that work to my advantage when the time is rigbt. 

I also bait heavy I will admit once gun season and late season arrive. Its the only way to keep the herd away from neighbors especially immature bucks. 

www.liftxrentals.com

I use bait (not 50 lbs in a pile either) a week or two before I go out but as the days come closer to hunt it gets rationed down. I ask if they (who ever helps me) to toss about 2 to 5 gallons of bait about. Just to get them in a spot where I know they'll stop so I can take the shot. My shooting lane or ability is less then 45 degrees. Probably 25 degrees in all reality. 

If I'm invited to hunt then I've noticed it's mainly put out much more so my success rate will/can be higher.

My "Handle" is not my aim, I'm paralyzed as a C 4-5 quadriplegic.

Giving bait a shot this winter bow.  Figure it's time to fight fire with fire to get them back where I want them.  Need meat, and I don't want to shoot a doe.  Bucks are getting scarce and are hard to hunt on public with bow in the winter.  Already have blinds set up at natural corridors from the past few years.  Just going to try a little incentive to get them to come through before dark.  Have used a little in the past for preseason scouting with the cams.  Rather hunt for them over natural foods and trails rest of the year.  Hope they aren't going to be too skittish coming into an unnatural food source while i'm hiding on the ground.