I did something real stupid today

19 hours ago, Lunatic said:

I question the entire idea of paying to have the stats place farm raised animals for people to hunt on public land. 
I can’t even imagine this being fun, especially with the crazy mayhem described above 

Its just like Trout,if they wheren't stocked there wouldn't be any out there. Pheasent hunting for me used to be fun,you can walk all day,talk,laugh,have a shot of Blackberry Brandy with Dad,but most of all enjoy watching a good Dog work birds. Pheasents always amazed me,for being farm raised they where smart enough to run and hide from you. Qual and Chuckers not so much.:up:

Ever try flushing a bird out of a tree? LOL

Funny you should ask....

My son's first hunt, coincidentally at the Mills, the dog points and the bird flies.  He shoots, misses and it roosts in a tree.  Now he already knows we don't shoot it, buuuuuut...he had missed a few times and was getting frustrated.  So I threw a stick, a rock, another rock and eventually shot up the back side of the tree just to try and spook the rooster.  Did not budge an inch.  So we gave up.  A guy who was watching asks if we were going to shoot it and we said it's no fun shooting a roosted bird.  Boom! He walks off with the bird in hand:shakehead:   

The poor kid looked like he just had his lunch money stolen.  But,  twenty minutes and two birds later he realized patience pays off!:up:

8 minutes ago, Williemo said:

Funny you should ask....

My son's first hunt, coincidentally at the Mills, the dog points and the bird flies.  He shoots, misses and it roosts in a tree.  Now he already knows we don't shoot it, buuuuuut...he had missed a few times and was getting frustrated.  So I threw a stick, a rock, another rock and eventually shot up the back side of the tree just to try and spook the rooster.  Did not budge an inch.  So we gave up.  A guy who was watching asks if we were going to shoot it and we said it's no fun shooting a roosted bird.  Boom! He walks off with the bird in hand:shakehead:   

The poor kid looked like he just had his lunch money stolen.  But,  twenty minutes and two birds later he realized patience pays off!:up:

You made someone else happy too!