IGNORED

I did something real stupid today

smittty

2 hours ago, Bones said:

I never hunted the mill 

I usually hunt way south. the fields are well divided by hedgerow and chunks of woods. It’s been a good year for us and never had any issues with people being aholes.

we pass birds in the trees but I don’t mind if a kid shoots them out. Hawks and owls are going to get what’s left anyway and the kid at least gets to be happy and show mama what he got.

if you got bird dogs and only hunt private preserves I would like to know what you do for a living? 

todays harvest and tomorrow’s future of hunting

7ED95571-2473-4A52-8E62-6A7816CFAF10.jpeg

How far is way south bones!?

looks like u guys know how to get it done n have a blast w the kids!!

16 hours ago, Bones said:

I never hunted the mill 

I usually hunt way south. the fields are well divided by hedgerow and chunks of woods. It’s been a good year for us and never had any issues with people being aholes.

we pass birds in the trees but I don’t mind if a kid shoots them out. Hawks and owls are going to get what’s left anyway and the kid at least gets to be happy and show mama what he got.

if you got bird dogs and only hunt private preserves I would like to know what you do for a living? 

todays harvest and tomorrow’s future of hunting

7ED95571-2473-4A52-8E62-6A7816CFAF10.jpeg

That is a terrific picture.  I can see myself in a similar picture 55 years ago with my  Dad, brother and neighbor.  Teach them right, keep them safe and they have a lifelong activity that they will enjoy.  You are doing things right!  Keep up the good work!  Your kids will thank you forever.

When I started hunting as a kid, without a dog, I would shoot them anyway I could get them.  Tree, ground.  My Dad and I had some great times and memories hunting them.  In later years I started trying to get them to fly, more often.  I'll still shoot a running cock bird when tracking them in the snow.  

For you to curse out a grandfather/father trying to spend some time with his grandson/son is disturbing to me.   I think you owe them an apology, for perhaps ruining their day and making a very negative memory for them.  

4 minutes ago, Nomad said:

When I started hunting as a kid, without a dog, I would shoot them anyway I could get them.  Tree, ground.  My Dad and I had some great times and memories hunting them.  In later years I started trying to get them to fly, more often.  I'll still shoot a running cock bird when tracking them in the snow.  

For you to curse out a grandfather/father trying to spend some time with his grandson/son is disturbing to me.   I think you owe them an apology, for perhaps ruining their day and making a very negative memory for them.  

Agreed, he could of also pulled the father to the side and explained his dismay with the situation

Edited by bucky

3 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I come from an Immigrant Family from Italy. My Father and Uncle hunted for meat first, not sport. In the early years, they hunted WMA's without dogs. Would be grateful to find a bird hiding in the thicket or sitting in a tree. A head shot killed cleanly and wasted no meat. The first Pheasant I ever shot was hiding in a thicket. I only shot at flying birds when they flushed on their own. As years passed and we became more "Americanized", we got dogs and eventually joined Clubs with Semi-Wild's. Hunting with dogs is a different process. You don't shoot at birds on the ground because it's not safe for the dogs. So that practice stopped. 

I think the shooting of birds running on the ground comes out of the use of dogs. It has nothing to do with "ethics". It's just common sense. 

Anyone hunting without a dog and has a chance at a stationary bird and walks past it is making a personal decision. Not right or wrong. 

2 minutes ago, nmc02 said:

I am more perplexed with your spelling than a kid shooting a bird. 

Smitty is a good guy but the real  stupid part of his day was loosing it in front of the kid, so " the kid will never forget it.", for no good reason.
But I get it. It was the last straw, it happens to all of us.

21 minutes ago, Lunatic said:

Smitty is a good guy but the real  stupid part of his day was loosing it in front of the kid, so " the kid will never forget it.", for no good reason.
But I get it. It was the last straw, it happens to all of us.

Probably was but you just never know who your dealing with either. Handle it differently next time especially in front of a kid. 

22 hours ago, vdep217 said:

Like I said i personally wouldn't do i like my dog to flush them but as long as it is safe it is legal. Yes unethical as in not shooting it on the fly but I won't judge someone especially a kid for taking a safe shot in the tree

Yeah I agree especially when your with a kid.

HONOR THE FALLEN
https://thefallen.militarytimes.com/
Over the years the US has sent many of its fine young men & women into great peril to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return, is enough to bury those that did not return. COLIN POWELL