I did something real stupid today

smittty

I hunted birds on state land. So I’m not having the best dear season so yesterday I get it in my head that I’m gonna buy a stamp and try bird hunting at the mill. So I get there around 6:30am soon after truck all over the place. Now keep in mind I’ve never done this before I’ve hear horror stories and always said I would never do it. Welp 7:15 everyone gets out of there trucks and starts walk so I do the same well about two minutes into the hunt all these dogs start busting these birds guys are shooting all over I didn’t see one dog on point  I was like OMG. So the guy on my left side shoots a birds that is just flying by crippling it and his dog gives chase but the guys dog on right gets to the bird first well them dogs went at it so bad the owners couldn’t control them wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not vet bills involved. Ok this is all within the first five minutes of my hunt so I start my dog off again and we watch a bird fly in a tree so here comes what appears to be fathers son and grandfather father says to the son maybe 10 years old there’s the bird in the tree shoot it. Welp I can’t stand no more and yup I opened my mouth and asked the guy what the hell is wrong with you and he said what and the I blew my stack.   I cussed him so bad that I almost felt bad but not. I’m sure the kid will never forget it. Ok now I’m ten minutes into the hunt and I start thinking I’m gonna get in trouble so I’m just gonna go back to the truck I only made it about 100yrds. On the way back my dog locked up and there was a father and son there with no dog I called the boy over and flushed the bird for him and he missed but at least he did it right here’s the point then five minutes later we were on our way home any way motto of the story is some people shouldn’t have kids and some shouldn’t own dogs and Smitty should stay off  wma

9782B5E7-FD18-4222-BF6A-D160F2A8E0A8.jpeg

Edited by smittty

11 minutes ago, smittty said:

I hunted birds on state land. So I’m not having the best dear season so yesterday I get it in my head that I’m gonna buy a stamp and try bird hunting at the mill. So I get there around 6:30am soon after truck all over the place. Now keep in mind I’ve never done this before I’ve hear horror stories and always said I would never do it. Welp 7:15 everyone gets out of there trucks and starts walk so I do the same well about two minutes into the hunt all these dogs start busting these birds guys are shooting all over I didn’t see one dog on point  I was like OMG. So the guy on my left side shoots a birds that is just flying by crippling it and his dog gives chase but the guys dog on right gets to the bird first well them dogs went at it so bad the owners couldn’t control them wouldn’t be surprised if there’s not vet bills involved. Ok this is all within the first five minutes of my hunt so I start my dog off again and we watch a bird fly in a tree so here comes what appears to be fathers son and grandfather father says to the son maybe 10 years old there’s the bird in the tree shoot it. Welp I can’t stand no more and yup I opened my mouth and asked the guy what the hell is wrong with you and he said what and the I blew my stack.   I cussed him so bad that I almost felt bad but not. I’m sure the kid will never forget it. Ok now I’m ten minutes into the hunt and I start thinking I’m gonna get in trouble so I’m just gonna go back to the truck I only made it about 100yrds. On the way back my dog locked up and there was a father and son there with no dog I called the boy over and flushed the bird for him and he missed but at least he did it right here’s the point then five minutes later we were on our way home any way motto of the story is some people shouldn’t have kids and some shouldn’t own dogs and Smitty should stay off  wma

I agree I gave up WMAs a LONG TIME AGO

I hunt the mill and try to stay on the right side so its harder for people to get wound in front of you.  As u stated the hardest part of public land is people having dogs that aren't trained or able to listen.  As for the guy telling his kid to shoot a bird out of the tree I dont see any thing wrong there.  While its not somthing I would do by personal choice as long as it was safe let ot be

Just now, vdep217 said:

As for the guy telling his kid to shoot a bird out of the tree I dont see any thing wrong there.  While its not somthing I would do by personal choice as long as it was safe let ot be

I agree chances are the 10 year old kid would of missed it sitting anyways, at that point dad and grandpa could of backed him up on the fly

Just now, vdep217 said:

I hunt the mill and try to stay on the right side so its harder for people to get wound in front of you.  As u stated the hardest part of public land is people having dogs that aren't trained or able to listen.  As for the guy telling his kid to shoot a bird out of the tree I dont see any thing wrong there.  While its not somthing I would do by personal choice as long as it was safe let ot be

You don’t see nothing wrong with shooting a bird out of a tree??? OmG. It’s bad anuff we’re hunting birds that were kick out of a truck. Maybe you would like them hanging from the tree in a cage

13 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Ever try flushing a bird out of a tree? LOL

8 minutes ago, smittty said:

You don’t see nothing wrong with shooting a bird out of a tree??? OmG. It’s bad anuff we’re hunting birds that were kick out of a truck. Maybe you would like them hanging from the tree in a cage

Like I said i personally wouldn't do i like my dog to flush them but as long as it is safe it is legal. Yes unethical as in not shooting it on the fly but I won't judge someone especially a kid for taking a safe shot in the tree

33 minutes ago, smittty said:

Is it illegal to take them from trees? If its not I think it was the accumulation of things that made you lose it over something trivial. IMO

4 minutes ago, vdep217 said:

Like I said i personally wouldn't do i like my dog to flush them but as long as it is safe it is legal. Yes unethical as in not shooting it on the fly but I won't judge someone especially a kid for taking a safe shot in the tree

I wasn’t judging the kid it was his ol man. I’m sorry it’s just not right to teach a kid 

Edited by smittty

1 minute ago, smittty said:

I wasn’t judging the kid it was his little man. I’m sorry it’s just not right to teach a kid 

Could look at it this way.  He told him to do so so he knew 100 percent it was a safe shot.  Shooting up at a definitive target rather than a moving target with all of those people around.  He controlled the situation for the kid to take a bird