When to upgrade your bow/xbow?

As I do often when sitting on stand this morning, I started thinking about possibly upgrading my xbow. I'm shooting a Tenpoint Titan Xtreme that I purchased in 2013. It's done the job time and time again and for all practical purposes it's still very capable of continuing the job. Lately I've been considering upgrading it to either the Tenpoint Titan M1 or the Turbo M1 as both have the much narrower ATA at 9.5".

When do you upgrade your bow or xbow? What prompts you to do so?

David

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

1985- started bow hunting with a much older Ben Pearson Critter getter.  it got me into the sport, killed a 6pointer and was hooked for life.  55# draw weight. 

1986 - bought a Hoyt Pro Hunter. 70# draw weight.  Shot a lot of young bucks with it. 

1998 - took over a bow from my dad as he had to dramatically go down in weight, I don't even remember the brand name but it was "MKM" I think but cannot find any history on that brand...  He got it at Stoke's.  70# draw weight. Shot a lot of young bucks wth it   Year 2000 - finally got my first 8pointer, which I now realize is 110" but was a GIANT to me back then and really got me to stop shooting 1.5 year old bucks with abandon. 

2003 Matthews FX - started putting deer on the wall... 70# draw weight.  After 18 years of bowhunting, I was now at the stage of passing up younger bucks religiously, and holding tags.    

2010 Matthews Z7 - put a LOT more deer on the wall.  65# draw weight. 

2018 Matthews Triax - going strong, can see several more years out of this unless I can no longer draw 60#.  

All that being said - it wasn't the Matthews that made me much more successful, it was the change in mindset, willingness to eat tag soup and learning more about mature buck behavior as compared to all the rest of the herd...   

The bow or crossbow is just a tool - most can be made highly proficient and no need to change all that often.   

Keep them tuned, inspect string and cables, and make sure you are shooting the right arrows for your weapon and that is really all that is mandatory.  Changing to a new bow is just a matter of choice and rarely a necessity. 

Some prefer to change every year or two and maybe are sponsored or have incentive to do so.   Some are just bow junkies and have multiple bows and archery tackle just "because".   

25 minutes ago, JHbowhunter said:

All that being said - it wasn't the Matthews that made me much more successful, it was the change in mindset, willingness to eat tag soup and learning more about mature buck behavior as compared to all the rest of the herd...   

Translated:  Someone gave me access to their property, and I put a pile of corn down.