IGNORED

When Do You Start Your Calling Practice-- Jan,April,Or Somewhere In Between?

Fred Flintstone

I practice at least twice a week year round on Boxes + Pots for a few minutes.

I start my Natural Voice Calling in Jan since,I don't use mouth calls. I just practice 2 of them. The Yelp + the Whit- Whit by forming those words in my voice Box in my Neck. 

Takes some practice. I can be heard out to at least 80 yards for my Finisher.

I have heard Spring Hunters in Pre Dawn Parking Lots Yelping on Boxes . The Rythm  was way off. That is not the time to start practice.

So- when do you all start practicing with the Big ol Birds in mind?

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I just practiced on a Box + a Pot today. I also have a fine Ceramic Call that Nick March here made and mailed to me last year.For Free!

Hell of a nice guy. I called up a Hen and a Gobbler with that Ceramic  Call. Unfortunately  the Gobbler saw me. And any call that calls up a Hen is a good one.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

I play them yearly.  I bring turkey calls with me whenever I'm in the woods.  Even when deer hunting.  I'll play them while walking in and when im in the stand.  

If I see jittery deer I give a few calls.  It seems to calm them and bring them in my direction.  The two hang together often and seem to help protect each other.

I got a William Lester Trumpet Call a few months back.  My first trumpet!  Its cool as hell!  He came up with a single chamber design.  I got some brass tubing and copper fittings and made a 2 chamber call that sounds great!  

I practice on my mouth calls all year.  My wife can attest to that as she hates it! Lol.  Also practice on my slate.  Sometimes try new things tips or tricks I’ve come across.  If I can fine tune them I’ll use it in the woods if not I don’t do it as I’m afraid to cause more harm then good.

I have a box call but seldom pull it out.  Sometimes if I’m walking the woods late morning I’ll let out a loud call sequence on the box as a locator really.

Otherwise I stick to 70%mouth/30%slate.  Obviously once I have the birds pretty much committed the calling decreases vastly.  Although sometimes I’ll play with jakes for fun as they think their tough sometimes!

I don’t always hunt with decoys and sometimes it happens so quick you don’t have time but I really enjoy hunting with decoys and letting the turkeys progress naturally and watch them do their thing. 

18 hours ago, Hunter115522 said:

Practice calling in January. Start baiting for them in March.

Hey, there is another guy here who does that I think. Was that you ?

There is nothing more intolerant than a liberal preaching tolerance 

God gives the toughest battles to his strongest soldiers

"Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy."