IGNORED

.22 recommendations

ModernOutdoorsMan

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2021 at 5:05 AM, Foggy Mountain said:

I’ve got a question if you don’t mind? There’s no bashing you so please don’t assume that. We all are prone not to know things, especially everything when we just get into a sport. I’m not sure if that’s the case but I’m interested. It seems I’ve seen or heard of many instances of something similar. Someone not realizing they can’t use a rim fire for squirrel in N.J. for instance. Do you mind if I ask how you acquired your license? I’m thinking perhaps you may be one of the folks that did the complete online courses this year. If so and if something is being missed I believe we need to evaluate that and hopefully this can be corrected. It is our responsibility to know the rules but it doesn’t seem you were attempting to be irresponsible. 
I hope this comes across the way I intended. 

I completed the in-person tests for both bow and firearms here in NJ.

I did not grow up in a hunting family or shooting guns. I got into it after college with no mentor and little help outside of my own research.

I’ve been bowhunting public land for the past 5-6 years, and now I’m looking to broaden my hunting skillset. Squirrels seem to be a simple, relaxed, and easy excuse to get outside. While I have my firearm license I can’t say I’m familiar with most of the laws considering I don’t regularly shoot or hunt with a gun, I have the license simply for the fact that I do plan on it down the road. 

22 rimfire either a semi like the Ruger 10/22 or a Henry lever action. Keep in mind though the Ruger as with any semi you can only use long rifle or magnums if it's 22 magnum. The lever and pumps are chambered in 22 long rifle but you can still shoot shorts and longs from it too. I have a Winchester model 1906 pump in 22 short.

As far as air rifles i don't have any in 22,i have a Crosman pumpmaster in 177. Haven't taken anything with it yet. I use a 12ga for everything,i might take my sons 20ga for squirrel one of these days.