IGNORED

your thoughts on cooking prime rib

Kype

ill be honest i never tried cooking/grilling prime rib.

how do you do it?

i was gonna just salt and heavy cracked pepper it, sear it on all sides over the grill. then transport it to the oven covered in tin foil(what temp)? and bake until inside reaches 120. and let the meat rest for 30 min before cutting it.

maybe take it out sooner then 120? i figure a big slab of meat like that would keep cooking well after removal from the oven. i want it legally rare inside. 

you can do a high heat 400 or 450 for 30 minutes - pull it out, baste a little - then 1.5 hours at 350 degrees.

- Every oven is different so i suggest always using a meat thermometer to check - last year i believe i used this method and the outer layer of the meat melted in your mouth, and the inside was still red pink and juicy

I coat mine with olive oil and sprinkle with some Montreal seasoning. Than I put in oven uncovered @400 convection roast 20-30 minutes. Outside will sear nicely. Than lower oven to 325 until internal temp is 118 max. Take it out cover in foil  let it rest for 30 minutes before you cut it. 
This will be med rare. 

Step 1...take the meat out of the fridge a few hours ahead of time to let it warm up to temperature.  Never cook cold red meat.

I'm going to crust mine in kosher salt, fresh cracked black pepper and finely chopped garlic then smoke at approximately 275 until I hit 115, maybe 120.  Rest for 30 minutes. 

One of the best ways to do a rib roast or eye round roast in the oven is by following this formula: crust with whatever spices you want.  Preheat oven to 500.  Put the roast in the oven and cook for 5 minutes per pound. 8lb roast = 40 minutes.   When the time is up, turn the oven off and walk away.  Leave the door closed for 2 hours.  Don't open the door.  Don't peek.  I repeat...don't open the door.  After 2 hours, open it up, take it out and rest for at least 30 minutes.  Perfect medium rare rib roast or eye round roast every single time 

Edited by not on the rug

Cooking part is fairly easy, and I've had the most success with the standard 250° slow cook a few hours and then jack it up to 500° to brown. 
Thermometer is the best way to get the correct doneness. Don't rely on time.

Salt the night before, and let it rest in the fridge overnight uncovered.

When cooking at really low temps, you will not get as much of a temp rise after you take it out of the oven.  Approx. 5° only. Take it out early and let the oven reach 500°, then pop it back in to brown. Should be quick.