IGNORED

Barnes Making Shotgun Slug Ammo

BHC

Very interesting, at first I thought it was just a re branded accu-tip, but it seems Barnes has different advertised specs. Makes no difference to me as long as it shoots well out of my USH.

Barnes                                                                                       Remington Accu-tip

20ga  2.75in                                                                           20ga 2.75in

250gr. @1800fps  advertised                                        260gr @1850fps advertised

3 minutes ago, Wangsly said:

Very interesting, at first I thought it was just a re branded accu-tip, but it seems Barnes has different advertised specs. Makes no difference to me as long as it shoots well out of my USH.

they are the same as the Remington/Barnes with ballistic data

I may be in the market for a new slug.  I use Winchester Partition Golds now in 20 gauge.  Very accurate, but they just drill a small hole thru the deer.  Very little blood and the deer always runs off at least 100 yards or so, like it wasn't hit.  Can cause a little anxiety not seeing any blood.  Always find the deer though.  I like the penetration, but may like something that expands a little more. 

I took a buck a week or 2 ago & didn't realize I had loaded a Remington Barnes Expander instead of an Accutip in the chamber.  Entry was on shoulder & he only went about 30 yds.  I did notice an unusual  2" long by 1" round "plug" of meat on the ground when I walked over to where he was standing & assumed it was blasted out on the exit.  When I gutted, I noticed the liver (he was quartering towards me & I was about 20-25' up) was unusually shredded.  I later noticed I had got him with a Barnes Expander round when I picked up my empty.  When i butchered, I noticed a very large 3" around entry wound on the ribs behind the shoulder & was pretty impressed how big it was.

I was a little sceptical on whether or not the expander delivered all that different terminal performance from an accutip or other premium round & realize this is only one example but I am definitely  believing there is some truth to their claims now. 

greg, I use the Barnes in my muzzleoader for many many years.....all the deer and the bear I have shot over the years have either dropped in their tracks or took a few steps.

the accutips and the barnes (remington) both shot great and I wanted to order more of the remington/barnes but I couldn't find them...so being I had many accutips I stayed with them....from my experience they are both accurate yet the barnes in my opinion performs great on game

3 minutes ago, BHC said:

greg, I use the Barnes in my muzzleoader for many many years.....all the deer and the bear I have shot over the years have either dropped in their tracks or took a few steps.

the accutips and the barnes (remington) both shot great and I wanted to order more of the remington/barnes but I couldn't find them...so being I had many accutips I stayed with them....from my experience they are both accurate yet the barnes in my opinion performs great on game

Yep.  I'll likely switch over to the Barnes once my Accutip stock is used up.  Currently, I'm going Expander in the chamber with Accutips in the clip but I don't expect there to much difference either way.  I eventually came around to thinking the Accutips were not the best as far as terminal performance due to a couple of poor blood trails & wounded but not recovered by myself & others.   I did kill a good number of deer with them but was thinking there might be better choices, which was why I bought some Rem Expanders last year when Accutips became scarce. 

3 hours ago, Wangsly said:

Barnes                                                                                       Remington Accu-tip

20ga  2.75in                                                                           20ga 2.75in

250gr. @1800fps  advertised                                        260gr @1850fps advertised

My bet is they’ll shoot good with