IGNORED

King for a day - YOUR NJ, Wildlife Management plan

In NJ the only changes that will be considered will be how to make more $$$ from fish and wildlife.  

If the FW Council gets what they want (legislation that lets them set fees) you will see what I'm talking about.

In my zone which is basically all of Cape May County there are 200 weekly permits.  That is 100+ acres per permit for Belleplain State Forest alone.  That doesn't include any other WMA's, State Forests, federal or private land.  

On 12/16/2020 at 7:55 AM, Buckeyes11 said:

No way non residents should pay the same for the deer  turkey and bear permits. We pay in every state. So should they in ours

You do have a good point there. And,I am a Non- Resident.

In my State of New York,I  pay 10 Dollars that covers my 2 Spring Turkey Tags + 1 Fall Turkey Tag

And Non Residents pay a very low 20 Bucks for the same 3 Turkey Tags that cover Spring + Fall. 

If my fee went up to 32 Bucks from 22 Bucks for a NJ Spring Turkey Permit,I  would have no problem with that. I would still buy 2 or 3 Turkey Permits.

Probably the big crush of Non - Residents to NJ come from PA. 

I am only 18 miles North of NJ and have hunted in NJ since 1994.  Maybe later,I  will calculate - $135.50× 27 years with a new License year coming up.  

Anyway,I  don't think many PA Residents would like my post here about paying 10 Bucks more for a Spring Turkey Permit.

Now members here will get a Laugh out of this story.

So a few years back,I  was in line to purchase my Spring Turkey Permits at #%&! in Wanaque,NJ.

I finally got to the front of the line and had a good 7 men behind me looking to purchase over the counter Turkey permits.

So,I  give him my NJ Non Resident Hunting License and tell him ,I  want 2 Spring Tags for Zone 5.

So the full Bald Headed guy yells out-- YOU ARE A NON RESIDENT!

SO,I said. The Tall Owner was walking by and gave him a hard look. 

I was able to purchase my Tags  finally- LOL.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

What do you all think of these changes?

Banning of baiting and feeding.

The elimination of antler point restrictions, which prevent the harvest of younger-aged bucks, in order to allow for a larger buck harvest. 

Extension of season dates and/or relaxation of bag limits.

Edited by nickmarch

43 minutes ago, Haskell_Hunter said:

I would close the state to all hunting except for me.  And I wouldn't have bag limits or season dates.  Just open season on everything just for me.

I was wondering where you went-lol. 

Anyway- there would be no Game Left in the Ramapo State Forest. Leave something for me.

Take The Multiple Use Area Challenge. 

• 8 months later...

Just discovered this old thread - let's see if we can get it going again?

So if I was king for a day I would do what the kings did in the old days- ban all hunting for the peasants and only allow it for the king :rofl:

On a serious note, I think NJ regulations actually ,mostly make sense but are way too complicated.

I like your suggestions Jack. The main thing  I would personally emphasize is shortening the season, at least for does. It irks me that it is legal to kill a fawn (or doe who has fawns) in early September as well as in February. But I guess it is part of a deliberate herd reduction strategy, but in my view October through January is plenty season for does. I also wonder how many deer are spoiled in September from not being recovered until hours later or next day.

16 minutes ago, Swedish Hunter said:

So if I was king for a day I would do what the kings did in the old days- ban all hunting for the peasants and only allow it for the king :rofl:

On a serious note, I think NJ regulations actually ,mostly make sense but are way too complicated.

I like your suggestions Jack. The main thing  I would personally emphasize is shortening the season, at least for does. It irks me that it is legal to kill a fawn (or doe who has fawns) in early September as well as in February. But I guess it is part of a deliberate herd reduction strategy, but in my view October through January is plenty season for does. I also wonder how many deer are spoiled in September from not being recovered until hours later or next day.

Oh, and reinstate the bear hunt of course!

41 minutes ago, Swedish Hunter said:

The doe you shoot in February  will not have any more or less effect on deer population than the same doe shot in October, the net result is the same. However, I do understand why some people don't shoot pregnant doe for moral reasons. 

Edited by Lunatic

October Fall Bow

November Permit Bow

December 6 day shotgun/muzzleloader(Buck Only Season)

Give them a break in between

January weapon of choice(permit shotgun/muzzleloader/winter bow no permit required)

1 Bow Buck

1 Gun buck

Doe limits depend on population in zone

That was easy!

Edited by bucky